Sunday 26 April 2009

Jake Gyllenhaal on Jack Twist - 'caring and simultaneously rugged'

It looks like the Brokeback Mountain opera is back, but now it will be Madrid audiences who will hear the results in 2013. Composer Charles Wuorinen's recent interview makes plain that Annie P has been very closely involved in putting Jack and Ennis' story not only on to the stage but also to music and both the original short story and the film will influence.


'Annie Proulx herself wrote the libretto which is already finished. I feel it does not bear much relation to the film. It has the same characters, but unlike the story, however, women play a slightly bigger part in it, as in the film. But I have not contacted Ang Lee and I have contacted Annie Proulx. I just finished working with her when she came recently to Nueva York to add the last touches.'

Not surprisingly, Ennis will not find his voice as easily as Jack: 'Jack will be a lyric tenor. Ennis is a bass-baritone with several spoken parts. He only sings in some passages. There is a quite marked difference between the two personalities.' 'Q: People who go to the opera are not used to seeing love scenes between men … CW: Well, they will have to get used to it.'


The problem of how to distinguish Jack and Ennis musically is rather intriguing. Instead of the black hat and blue eyes of Jack and the pale hat and brown eyes of Ennis, Jack's emotions can more easily be translated into song, whereas Ennis' voice is not only deeper, it is less musical and mostly spoken not sung.

In a fascinating and quite candid interview Jake Gyllenhaal conducted in 2005 with the Atlanta Journal, Jake revealed: 'I always assumed I would be playing the Ennis part when I read it. And then [Lee] cast me as Jack. It made me see myself more as an open and expressive actor than I've ever been before.' It surprised me, who obviously sees Jake from an entirely different perspective!, that Jake had always assumed he would be Ennis when he is so clearly and brilliantly Jack, not even needing words, just with a look. And Heath, with even fewer words, is Ennis.


This interview isn't available freely so I'll quote some extracts. On the loneliness of filming: 'I guess you could say in a way it was difficult on a movie set, yet at the same time it's also not. It's just inherent. The topography of where we were shooting was pretty isolating. And when I'm really, really, really looking forward to the [real-life rodeo and fair] Calgary Stampede and it's coming in a month and a half, then you know you are pretty isolated. Especially since I grew up in Los Angeles. I didn't even know what a stampede was 'til I was doing this movie. The first two weeks, we were living in trailers right by a river in the middle of nowhere. Flat land for as far as we could see. We shot in one town where it was so windy it had the highest suicide rate in all of Alberta.' [Interesting corrolation between windiness and suicide...]

Nudity: 'I believe if it's toward the story and there's a reason for it, I'll pretty much do almost anything that's not really harmful. Obviously, I was nervous at times, but you gotta get through those things. Got to push through certain fears.'


The sheep: 'Well, they're dirty and they're dumb. And they make you look good though, I gotta say. Especially when you have no experience with them. They pretty much just herd the way you want them to herd. They make you feel very tough and empowered because they are terrified of you. Then again, they are terrified of anything. [Q: They also make you look good because, like you did in the movie, you can put a little lamb in a sack attached to your saddle. It makes you look caring and rugged at the same time.] Jake: (Laughing) That was actually written in the script. But it does, and that may be the intention --- caring and simultaneously rugged.'


The aggressive love scenes: 'I think that's the thing that's really interesting about this movie. You know, the difference between the fight scenes and the love scenes are kind of . . . like in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," when there's a fight scene everybody is so eager to say, "Oh, it's so beautiful. They're like love scenes." But with "Brokeback," some people who see it haven't been able to go there completely yet --- you know, a love scene like a fight scene. But the love scenes really were like that. They were really aggressive and that happened [Ledger almost breaking his nose] by the stairs. And it's written that way, you know. It's like they grab each other and squeeze the air out of each other. And say, "Son of a [expletive]." It got rough. It just got rough. I think it was a kind of place where both Heath and I felt more comfortable going. We know how to fight. So that was easier for us.'


'[Q: Talk a little more about what's behind the aggressiveness.] Jake: These characters are just full of ambiguity. I don't think there's one clear way of putting it, you know? The whole movie is filled with questions. What really happened with my character? What were the intentions at the beginning? Were they drunk? Is it they are just lonely? I couldn't answer that really.'

Jarhead, Proof and Zodiac: 'When Sam cast me for "Jarhead," I think he recognized a real aggression in me. Just pieces of my personality that I don't think had ever been seen before. And it changed my life. And with John [Madden, who directed "Proof"], I think he recognized a kind of older attitude in me than I thought I had at the time [that allowed me to] play against Gwyneth. Also, I was really bad at math and he made me feel like I was good at math... "Zodiac" was a place I was scared to go to. I mean, it's a scary story. It's a true story and the themes of it kind of freaked me out. It's such a seedy world. It scared me. And I wanted to go to that place and see what it was like and how scary it was. The movie itself is just totally, completely terrifying, and I've never made a movie like that before.'


Talking of sheep, thank heavens this didn't happen: 'According to actor Jake Gyllenhaal, director Ang Lee was going to delete a scene in which Gyllenhaal and co-star Heath Ledger kissed because the filmmaker felt 'two men herding sheep was far more sexual than two men having sex on screen.''


Includes pictures from IHJ.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. That's the attractive thing about cowboys, the caring and rugged at the same time. Or at least the idea of that. I hope I'll get to see the opera. Interesting to hear more about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, a Brokeback post! I can never get enough of those!

I'm not convinced a BBM opera is a good idea and I could never see it because I love the movie too much, but I'm still intrigued. I really can't see a signing Ennis; how do you sing grunts and mumbled words? :D The men who will play Jack and Ennis will have enormous shoes to fill. Jake and Heath will always be the only Jack and Ennis for me.

I agree with you about not understanding how Jake was expecting to be asked to play Ennis. How could he not see he was perfect to play Jack when he read the script? I wish I could thank Ang in person for bringing Heath and Jake together for this film. They had the most amazing chemistry together. Ang is a genius!

"It was so windy it had the highest suicide rate in all of Alberta." What?! I didn't know wind could cause suicide! :DDD Jake can surely say some weird things sometimes.

That picture of Jack with a sheep in his lap is my very favorite of him. Caring and rugged describes it perfectly. I have that picture on my fridge along with the one of Ennis sitting on a rock petting a dog, in the same scene. They are both so beautiful.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Anon :0 And I agree, that's certainly true of Jack and Ennis - and oh so sexy as well. Originally, I was very unsure about this whole opera idea, but reading this interview, I feel like the composer gets it, if you know what I mean, and it could be very emotional. Thanks for commenting :)

Anonymous said...

I think the composer gets it too, WDW. Jake was the perfect Jack, and Heath the perfect Ennis. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! How I agree about those enormous shoes. I don't think they're fillable.

isn't it intriguing though how Jake assumed he would be Ennis? I think it's one of the most interesting things I've heard from Jake in relation to BBM. Is this because Jake sees himself as an Ennis? The division of the world into Jacks and Ennises :D

That wind statement is completely loupy although Mr WDW said, when I mentioned it to him, that people can go wind crazy. Scary. I love how Jake's mind works.

I have that picture of Jake framed and sitting on my desk. I like it close.

I wanted to feature an interview with Jake today because I've been missing him speak about his films, as we've been discussing. But the old interviews continue to fascinate and I come across new old ones even now.

Thanks for commenting, Olympia *) I hope you're having a good weekend.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :) Posting at the same time!

Anonymous said...

The Dustbowl of the 1930's in the U.S. Drought aided by the wind for years made it almost impossible to live through. The ones who could move on - did. ("Grapes of Wrath") Others stayed and included in that were people who committed suicide.
The wind wasn't the only thing involved but something that is constant like that, for some people who cannot get out of it they may get to a point where they can't stand it.
So I think Jake knows what he was talking about.

Another Anon.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Another Anon :) It almost reminds me of The Shipping News and how the elements definitey impact on mood and well being. Winds in wide open spaces...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^ 'It' here refers to your quote from Grapes of Wrath

sheba said...

Hi WDW. In relation to the last post and my comment about Jen - I must confess my guilty pleasure is The Daily 10 and they quoted Jake as saying that about Jen. I think she's in a magazine so it probably will be in it. I'll scout around and see which one.

This post is spooky. I spent this afternoon watching the London Marathon and BBM tributes on YouTube simultaneously and come back here to this wonderful post. A return visit to BBM is due but when I feel stronger to handle it.

Love the old/new interviews found especially to hear the new 'gems of wisdom' Jake's gonna come out with next.

Jake as Ennis? Maybe he could have pulled it off. We are so entrenched in Jake's performance as Jack that it's probably so hard to see him as any other character. TBH I couldn't imagine anyone but Heath as Ennis and Jake as Jack. They competely owned it and brought Ennis and Jack to life.

Good start to the 'Terrific Twos' WDW :DD

get real said...

As always, a beautiful post on BBM and Jake's feelings on the movie.

It is very interesting that Annie Proulx is a big part of the BBM opera. I think if she is involved it could be very good.

Great to see pics of Jake around and with Stephen Gaghan. Sounds like a great opportunity and I hope it happens!

Btw, for those of you from Dave Cullen's Forum, he has been all over the news, saw him interviewed on the Rachel Maddow Show (love her!) and mentioned by Frank Rich in today's NY Times, with his new book on the Columbine massacre. Good luck to Dave!

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. It is super hot here in the city. Feels like summer...

Uli said...

I wonder if I will ever get tired of reading about Jake and Brokeback Mountain! Probably not...

OMG at the thought of Ang Lee deleting SNIT (at least I guess that was the scene that is meant here?) I don't even want to think about it! My favourite scene EVER!!! Replaced by sheep?? Argh!

About Jake as Ennis: I am not sure, but I think it was maybe less Jake seeing himself as Ennis, but him expecting that everybody else would always see him like that - considering the roles he had played before (Donnie Darko, Holden etc.).

Hm, BBM opera? I am definitely no opera fan... But in this case even I might be tempted to watch it - especially considering that Annie Proulx is involved. But I guess I will not get the opportunity...

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

winterbird said...

Love BBM post and Jake talking about Jack (and Ennis) :) Thanks!

I am glad that Annie Proulx is so involved in the opera version development, that would definitely keep the legacy of BBM for many years to come. I hope it will be a success. Although I haven't got used to the idea of someone else playing Jack and Ennis :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! If you can see a headless chicken running around - that's me... And it's pouring with rain.

Thanks for such great comments - I love it when we talk about BBM. I'll be back later when I can chat but in the meantime a big wave to Sheba, Get Real, Uli and Winterbird! Chuckling at the sheep comment, Uli!

Xenia said...

I can't believe I wasn't here to celebrate the 2nd Aniversary of our lovely WDW and her priceless blog!

The Happiest Belated Birthday wishes to both! *)

And finally thank you for another precious post,I love to go back and read interviews of a way more open and and innocent Jake Gyllenhaal.
It seems like a million years ago *sigh*.

Have a great day. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Xenia! I'm glad you enjoyed this post too - I was quite captivated by this interview. have a good day *)

Anonymous said...

Oh Gosh! I can't imagine BBM without SNIT, that scene is filled with so much tenderness, not just sexy. I've lost count of how many times I've watched BBM, but I have to say, over time, my favorite scene of many is now the dozy embrace - there's so much real love and affection, comfort with each other and longing, for both of them - especially for Jack, but surprisingly for Ennis too. It still surprises me when Ennis expresses his feelings, he is so guarded usually, but when he does express them they have so much depth and power. Great work by Heath, and Jake. I'd love to see an opera.

I'm really curious and interested about the proposed spy thriller with Stephen Gaghan for Jake. Sounds exciting! :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, this is such a great post...thank you for all those wonderful quotes from the article not easily found on line...I love reading what Jake has to say about his BBM filming experiences.

Never enough BBM, never enough.

xoxo

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon :D BBM without SNIT just is not right at all... but yes the Dozy Embrace is probably the moment from the film that wipes me out each and every time. Just knowing it's coming is enough to reduce me to mush.

I'm exciting at the thought of Jake working with Gaghan too :D

Hey BBMISwear! I will never tire of hearing Jake talking about BBM and Jack. *)

sass said...

Evening there WDW,
I have to tell you I much I enjoyed this post. I've never read these very insightful remarks before. TYTY

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sass, I'm so glad you liked this *) I hadn't read it before either and I loved it. Hugs to you.

freetraveller said...

Wonderful post, WDW!
Gave me lots of food for thought.
When the idea of a BBM opera was first circulated, I was all in favour of it. But since then, I started thinking about how it would be made into a believable epic, considering in the OS a lot is played out in silences, gazes, etc. whereas an opera (or a musical) usually rely on words, emphasis, repetitions/refrains etc...

About Jake as Ennis: I agree with Uli that I think Jake might have referred to what the public would have expected of him, considering the character types he'd been playing before BBM, many of whom were often the dark, mysterious, ill adjusted to society types...

Thanks!
Hugs
Paola

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Paola :) I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. It made me think too. I just can't make up my mind about the opera - I like the idea of the story continuing but I don't like the idea of anyone else playing Jack and Ennis.

Check your email, Paola *)

Anonymous said...

This movie will always have a special place in my heart. it's an amazing love story. I was wondering if the opera idea was going to go forward. I just wish it was going to happen here in the states. well maybe by 2013 I'll be able to see it in europe.

sweetpea