Wednesday 29 April 2009

'The love fest' - Moonlight Mile

After the recent Brokeback post, and while we wait to see if we will ever learn in which continent Jake now finds himself, I thought I'd take a look at another film of Jake's in which chemistry is everything. For me, Moonlight Mile is right up there, knocking on the door of Brokeback, for the connection between Jake Gyllenhaal and Ellen Pompeo and for the other connections - between Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon and between both of these and the young Jake.


There is a contradiction about Moonlight Mile to my mind. The story is built upon the most awful tragedy, not just for Joe, but also for Bertie. But there is real humour in it - and hope. I feel that a very big part of why we feel this is because of what seems like genuine affection between the four main cast members and because of the family dynamic, especially between Jake and Dustin. With Jake getting top billing and with Dustin keen to clip Jake's feathers while littering him with advice, I get a sense of Jake's nervous rebelliousness. He agreed to do This is Our Youth, as strongly advised by Dustin, but stood firm against him to do a blockbuster movie.


Without doubt, Jake impressed both Susan and Dustin. Brad Silbering recounted (in the Detroit Free Press): '"It took Dusty six months to make up his mind, six months of us talking on the phone every day, working through detail, half the time talking about anything but the script. Finally I got him together with Jake, because I truly believed that would get him off the dime. And he just fell in love with him. He kept saying, `He's like a young Buster Keaton; he's like a young Keaton.'"


We've enjoyed Susan's flirtatious comments about Jake before, but I liked this description of him that she gave at the Toronto Film Festival: '"He's very bright," says Sarandon. "The emphasis is focus. He reminds me of Sean Penn. I love the fact that he grew up in a show-business family and still has great values."' Elsewhere in this article, Jake says of his role as Joe: 'I have regrets, but I will hopefully mend them in future things'.


Here is a lengthier extract: 'If Gyllenhaal mania arises, the actor admits that there are worse fates than Leonardo DiCaprio-style celebrity. "There's something alluring about it," says Gyllenhaal, whose entourage at Toronto consists of three longtime friends who've spent as much time accompanying him to movie theaters as they have to bars. "I would not be human to say that I don't fall for that. But it seems to me that ... if you're in that position, it's not really in your control, except in the choices that you make and the movies that you choose to do. The nice thing about that position, regardless of the entourage or the girls, is that you can do any movie you want, which is what's alluring to me." Gyllenhaal, who next stars with Dennis Quaid in the Roland Emmerich film The Day After Tomorrow, feels good about where he is. "I think I'm in a pretty OK position," he says. "It's hard to get perspective. ... It's so weird that I want more even though I have a ton."'


This comraderie between the cast was pretty clear for all to see at the Toronto press conference: 'The mood at the press conference yesterday for Moonlight Mile, about a bereaved husband-to-be coming to terms with his grief, was set when Susan Sarandon sat down, turned to her co-star Jake Gyllenhaal and asked, "Did you just pinch my ass?" Within two minutes, Dustin Hoffman had laid his head in the laps of both Sarandon and co-star Ellen Pompeo, played footsie with Sarandon and asked her for sexual favours. Then the cast launched into a rousing Happy Birthday for director Brad Silberling. It was, in Sarandon's words, "a bit of a love fest" on the set of this movie.'


And then there's Ellen... The story of her fairy tale meeting with Jake in an LA carpark is well known, but here is a fuller account of it: 'A guy tried to pick her up in the parking lot behind gourmet sandwich shop Joan's on Third. She says she had no idea he was actor Jake Gyllenhaal. "She walked by and I was just blown away by this energy," Gyllenhaal says. "She does this thing with her hair where she kind of jolts it back and forth. I thought it was so sexy." "He knocked on my [car] window in the parking lot," Pompeo says. "And he was standing there very nervous and shy. He said, 'I just want to tell you that you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my entire life.' And he tried to run away. So I said, 'Wait a minute, come back here.' Normally, I would say, 'Thank you' and let it go. But there's something so interesting about his face, so soulful."


'"I looked down at her passenger seat," Gyllenhaal says, "and I saw that there were 'sides' on it," the parts of scripts actors are given to read for auditions, "and I was like, 'Oh God, this girl's an actor." Pompeo says she told him, "Maybe we'll work together someday. Thanks for the compliment. See ya. And that was it." But it wasn't. Three weeks later, under the urging of New York casting director Avy Kaufman, known for finding actors their breakthrough roles--like Haley Joel Osment in "The Sixth Sense" and Tobey Maguire in "The Ice Storm"--Pompeo auditioned for writer-director Brad Silberling's "Moonlight Mile" (at the time tentatively titled "Baby's in Black") and found herself reading with none other than Gyllenhaal. "I walked into the room and he turned pale. Then I turned pale. It was so bizarre," Pompeo says.'


'"In walks Ellen to the room and I was like, no way," Gyllenhaal says. "I guess she had burned her forehead with a curling iron. It was just like this big scabby thing on her forehead and she was trying to hide it the best she could. But finally she was like, 'I know it's really stupid but I was trying to straighten my hair.' And she blew the audition out of the water. She walked out of the room and Brad turned to me and said, 'There's our movie.'"'


Ellen says that she became used to being confused with Renee Zellwegger but she has Jake to back her up: '"With Ellen, besides that voice and the sense that people might think in a cliched way--God, I don't know. If you put Renee and her in the same room, I don't know who would come out standing."'


One can't forget Brad Silberling. His terrible personal tragedy tied the cast together and all of the actors endeavour to do it justice. Brad said of Jake (Star Tribune 2002): 'As young actors go, he's alone in his field. He's really open and sensitive. And he's passionate. He has his eye on doing things he can be proud of.'


Includes pictures from IHJ and articles from WDW archives.

12 comments:

sheba said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post WDW. Thank you. The Jake Love Fest continues.

I like that Jake recognises that Gyllenhaal mania is not in his control. Just accept the love Jake and enjoy it whilst its here, especially now when nothing on the career front is visable right now.

I loved everything about MM and the cast were superb. It's the best Jake comentary on the DVD next to Bubble Boy. I love Joe's character and felt every inch of his sadness and confusion of his role. The fact that Brad wrote and directed such a personal story and trusted his actors with it was a labour of love.

I hope they are all still in touch with each other and have a 10 year reunion party in 2012.

Again, thank you for the new interviews xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sheba, thank you *) Moonlight Mile is very special to me - I can rewatch TDAT endlessly and I can puzzle over Donnie Darko and marvel over Zodiac, but Moonlight just grabs me tight, everytime I see the jukebox scene and Moonlight Mile plays - for me, as far as emotion goes, that is second only to the Dozy Embrace.

I think Brad's way of telling his own just awful story - not really autobiographical but capturing what it did to him, and the guilt and the grief, makes this a very special project. I like how 'Dusty' was won over in the end as he fell for Jake - I like how Jake fancied Ellen - and I like how Susan flirted with Jake and flirted with Dustin. This is a movie with love and affection written all over it.

And the commentary is great! What a great idea for a reunion.

It's a pleasure *)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! I think you know I love Moonlight Mile (my second favorite Jake movie of all time - so far!) and this post was absolutely wonderful - I love it!!

Thank you for, yet again, putting a smile on my face (actually today I was already smiling - A LOT - so you just managed to KEEP it there with this post)!

*hugs*
Lisa xoxo

P.S. This is pretty funny...I'm about to run out to watch my son's baseball game and my word is "bases" - it's an omen!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

(((Lisa))) Thank you! I know you love MMile - and guess what I'm settling down to right now :) I'm so glad I kept that smile on your face - You've put one on mine. And I've had a rotten day so it's even more apprreciated. Good luck to your boy with the baseball! Thinking of you today *)

Anonymous said...

A Moonlight Mile post! You just keep spoiling us, WDW. MM is one of my favorite Jake movies, it seems to get better each time I see it. And I agree with you, it has a hard subject but is still full of humor. One of my favorite scene is the one were Joe is at the dinner table and responds to a woman that said to him that she tought he was over the death of his girlfriend. The way Jake delivered his answer was spot on.

I wish there was a clip of the TIFF press conference, it seemed like a hoot. :) You can see just by the pictures that the cast enjoyed each other. Have you read the interview Susan did with Jake in the restroom of a restaurant? Absolutely hilarious!

I'm really curious about where Jake is. I know it's silly but I like knowing were he is. How can we play Spot-the-Jake if we don't even know on which continent to look? :)

Olympia

TD said...

Hi WDW, this is a simply lovely post - MM always seems to conjure some magic. I love that movie, but I was only vaguely aware of the background to it before, so it was really interesting to read, thanks so much.

I'm away for the weekend now in internet-free reality, so won't see you till end of next week. Good luck with the Jake-spotting!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Blogger just ate my post :(

Hi Olympia! I'm watching MMile right now. I'm in the mood. I love that dinner scene too and I do agree about how great it would be to have film of that press conference :D

I know that interview. There was a post on it here somewhere in 2007: here's the link.

I'd love to know where Jake is too. Just knowing the continent would be good :) Sigh... We miss him*)

Hey TD! I'm so glad you got some background out of the post. I hope you have a lovely long weekend and we'll see you next week *)

JoeAnn said...

Jake was the number one story tonight on the Daily 10. They showed an old clip from filming Bubble Boy where he laments his lack of opportunities to get buck naked on the set, lol. If only, Jakeypoo, if only!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for thinking of me today WDW!! I had a really good day and spent it doing some special things.

My smile continues into the evening... :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone!

Hi JoeAnn! Thanks for telling us about that. I've not heard of that show. Jake's not the only one to lament that!

Morning BBMISwear :) I am so glad you spent the day doing special things and how wonderful that you're still smiling (despite me prattling on to you). I hope today is good too *)

Have a great day everyone. Is it Friday yet?

get real said...

Sooo...any word on where Jake is?!? Nice to think of him in Italy for Maggie and Peter's wedding..if the rumors are true.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Yes, where's Jake?! (actually he's over here taking me out for a fish supper in an hour... ;D) Hope things are good with you!