Thursday 2 April 2009

Make me an angel - the 'fun, gentle side' of Jake

There are two ways to a man's heart (actually, that's not quite true but who's counting?) - through his stomach and through his earholes. So, as I contemplate chapter 2 of 'Get me Jake Gyllenhaal', I thought I'd take a quick look at a couple of examples of where music has been used to get Jake in the mood for a little posing.


Back in 2005, Jake was photographed for USA Weekend: 'Photographer George Lange has an impressive music collection, an interest that created an immediate bond with the hip young actor...



"We talked a lot about music," Lange says of the cover shoot. "Jake's dad is really into [Bruce] Springsteen. And Jake and I were listening to Citizen Cope. After the shoot, he hung out. We just listened to music and played different things for each other that we liked." Jake's pick of the day? Soul Coughing's "Janine."'



As for Citizen Cope: 'His resemblance to Jake Gyllenhaal has already endeared Citizen Cope to the actor, along with celebrities like Jessica Alba and Pharrell Williams. And it's easy to see why they like him. His music evokes blues and gospel themes with its angst-ridden verses and hopeful refrains, with stand-out tracks being Bullet and a Target, Son's Gonna Rise (with Carlos Santana) and Sideways.' Judge the resemblance for yourself here... I'm gonna be honest - I'm not convinced.



In 2007, Jake took it a big leap further for Interview and performed a duet with photographer Mark Seliger: '"What I like about Jake is that he's got a fun, gentle side,"... The pair even took time to harmonize on what Seliger describes as "a pretty C-minus version" of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery."'



Perhaps not entirely fortunately, the moment was preserved.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

twistedlogic said...

Citizen Cope resembles Jake in the same way I resemble Angelina Jolie ie in my dreams :( I quite like the song though :)
Nice to see the old guitar pic again, I know it can't have been easy for you to post it ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yeay! TL! My Spooky twin! It is so good to see you - and it's really spooky because I was thinking about you today.

That is a lovely song and Citizen Cope's resemblance to Jake is, well, mystifying and curious.

It was damn hard posting that pic, I didn't do it lightly...

Great to see you, my friend xx

twistedlogic said...

(((WDW))) That's so sweet that you were thinking of me (I'm assuming you meant in a good way!) I do read the site every two or three days at least, I just don't get to stop and chat as often as I should :(

I quite like the guitar pic. I always imagine Jake is singing "With a Little Help From My Friends" for some reason.

PS: Why do I always get rude words whenever I do post? Today's is "tosers" !!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

(((TL))) It was definitely in a good way - and I'm so glad you were able to say hello. We must sort out a London day out :D

I don't know what I imagine Jake is singing in that pic - maybe the theme to Stepford Jake.

My words are always very mundane. Earlier I had something to do with dogbowls - I found that fortuitous as I saw Marley and Me last night...

twistedlogic said...

More spookiness! I took TL Jr to see Marley and Me the other day (whoever said parenthood is the hardest job in the world was bang on the money;)

My word now is headess (I thought it said "headless" at first :D)

Did you manange to get U2 tickets? I'm going on Friday 14th August (yay!!!!!), so maybe we could meet up then? If not we'll sort something else out :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I loved that film :D

I'm trying to get tickets but I have to find a hotel as I can't come home from Wembley late at night so I'm still looking :D So want to go!

twistedlogic said...

We'll have to agree to disagree on Marley and Me;)

Really hope you can sort out a hotel and tickets :) I can't wait to see U2 again and it will be even better if I can meet up with you again too:D Then all we need is for Jake to tag along if he's over here, cos we know he's a U2 fan as well :D

This word thing is really taking the piss now - "torie" !!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'll do my best and let you know :D ... and then get Jake along. So good to see you! G'night x

Anonymous said...

What a great post! So informative and entertaining!

P.S. I want to go to U2 in London. I can see them in Boston but I want to go with my "England" friends! :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Friday :D

Thanks BBMISwear! I'd love that too *)

Xenia said...

Nice to see TL around here. :)

The fun gentle side of Jake is the one that won my heart years ago.
And that one really comes through listening to the music he loves.

I'm going to my hometown for a short Easter vacation and you know what it tends to happen while I'm away, right? ;)

See you soon! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia! It is interesting listening to the music Jake loves, it really is :D

Have a great break and Easter - have lots of chocolate - Hoperfully we'll have lots of Jake for you on your return!

Carol said...

Great post:)

I've got my U2 tickets for Dublin in July. Cannot wait. From what I've heard Bono say the stage is going to be amazing. I hope you get tickets sorted for London WDW.

Have a good day all. Yipee it's Friday:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Carol! Ooh, glad you got tickets. Could be too pricey for me :( Thank heavens it's Friday!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Seeing the names (((TL))) and (((WDW))) consecutively have made me sentimental and nostalgic so I've had to drop in to hug you both...a shout out to ((Rubes)) and ((Nouskie)) and all the old regulars too!

Like you,TL,I still "tune in" here regularly,I just don't feel compelled to "broadcast" my waffle too often any more. Maybe one day my muse will return and move me to extravagant expression once more...

Keep it real, Jakey-boy.;-)

My word is "defonter" What's all that about?!

Marley&Me Spoileralert.......................................................................................................I never watch a film where I know an animal dies!

Much love to TL and TL junior!

Nadine xxxxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yeay ((((Nadine))))! I'm so glad to see you and very pleased to hear you're still reading and things are good. Good advice about films by the way... :/ Thanks for the hug!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

You're welcome, and much love to go with it :-) xxxxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Much love to you too xxx