Thursday 2 July 2009

[Updated] Something old(ish), something new(ish) - and get that hair out of your face...

If you want as many people as possible to see your movie, it doesn't hurt to appeal to more than one audience because, believe it or not, not everyone goes to the cinema just to see Jake Gyllenhaal. In past days, a director or producer would pair Jake (and other young actors) with big names and that way everyone would be happy, more people would see Jake and, hopefully, he wouldn't be bossed about too much.


Dennis Quaid was a fine and believable choice for Jake's father in The Day After Tomorrow. 'Producer Mark Gordon (The Patriot) knows that when it comes to big-budget effects spectaculars, it doesn't hurt to showcase two leads who appeal to different audience segments. "We had Dennis in mind because he is strong, smart, likable, fatherly and tough," Gordon says. As for Gyllenhaal... "you could believe Jake is Dennis' son, and not just physically. Together, they are charming, funny and warm."' The charming, funny and warm, combined with extraordinary dimples, was a winner.


Dustin Hoffman was another big name father figure for Jake and accounts of Dustin's vigorous charm on set are numerous. Here is the story of the dog handler who worked with Dustin, Jake and their four-legged friend(s) on the set of Moonlight Mile.


But, Jake hasn't just played against older men, there have been some older women too... 'Jake Gyllenhaal, 21, spent his summer as a boy-toy object of desire for older women in the praised art-house releases The Good Girl, with Jennifer Aniston, and Lovely & Amazing, with Catherine Keener. But he says women of a certain age aren't putting the moves on him off-screen as a result. Not that he's likely to notice. "I would think older women are more nonchalant than that. They've played that game before. I wouldn't know they were doing it."' - Lesson number 1, there is such a thing as being too subtle.


Jake does not only look like a younger Dennis Quaid when he needs too, Brad Silberling picked him to play a version of himself partly because 'an agent friend alerted Silberling to Gyllenhaal, declaring, "You guys scare me by how much alike you are." Silberling beat the rush to hire the actor he now calls "the ubiquitous Jake Gyllenhaal. His stock is going up."'


In the same article we learn that we are not alone in our feelings for Jake's Moonlight Mile 'hairstyle' - 'Gyllenhaal had no problems with the 1973 setting of Mile— except for his retro bangs. He says his mom, screenwriter Naomi Foner (Running on Empty), griped, "Why did they put that hairdo on you? You look so good when your hair is out of your face."'


Update: Jake spotted (today?) in Intelligitsa in Venice...


... and Kate Bosworth on Twitter: 'Public Enemies was alright but the trailer for a film called 'Brothers' w/ Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire & Natalie Portman looks FANTASTIC!'

Includes pictures from links and IHJ.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

yea but they say the trailer practically tells the whole movie. :(( i hate trailers like that.still i will watch it of course.how can i not?

still no news from Nailed?i really hope it finally sees the daylight this year too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Gretchen! I'll take anything right now :D Nailed news would be good, very good...

BertieCinema7 said...

Ohhh thanks WDW, you know how I love a post about Moonlight Mile. One of the most romantic movies ever. BBM is still my favorite tho! I'm so happy that we'll be able to see the trailer for Brothers with Public Enemies. I'll be sure to give a spoiler warning, unless we get a report from someone else! I'm planning to see it tomorrow night. :)

wahey! said...

Great news!!! GB has the trailer on their blog!! I saw the original film and I don't think this trailer is too spoilerish at all. Cannot wait!

JoeAnn said...

Don't worry about the trailer giving too much away. This movie is more about the journey than the destination. Very much looking forward to seeing Jake's take on his character. It's been so long since he's had a meaty role.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! And after the heatwave, the deluge...

Hi Bertie! I know how much you love MMile, me too. It's special. I hope you get to see the traielr on the big screen!

Hi Wahey! It's so good to see the trailer - it's in the new post :D You can probably see me grinning from there!

Morning JoeAnn :D It's so true - this looks like a role full of depth and substance and I can't wait to see what Jake does with it.

Have a good day everyone!

BBMISwear said...

Oh.My.God. I am just reeling from sitting here watching the Brothers trailer over and over and over! Mr. BBMISwear (hee hee...I love when WDW does that!) just suggested to me last night that I do what seems this person who posted it on youtube did...film it with our flip video cam while at the Public Enemies showing. I don't think I could have held the camera steady enough so I'm glad someone else did it!! I can't wait until the "official" version is on line but for now I am sooooo grateful to the person who did this for us. How long have we been waiting?! Far, far too long!!

Oh...and WDW...you slayed me with your Moonlight Mile post...you KNOW how much I love this movie! I love the reference to Brad talking about Jake being cast in MM. It brought back such a wonderful memory of me referring to the radio interview with Brad and Jake from waaaaaay back when Brad said that he thought Jake would be perfect for the role but was too young but by the time the movie was ready to be made he grew up some and was perfect for it! Jake's "yeah, yeah" with a huge smile on his face had me dizzy on my feet! I think the memory of that interview was coming back to him and he was a little surprised someone even remembered it. Ted thought I was over-showing my fangirl side (ha ha!) but his assistant said she was learning so much (about Jake) by listening to me! I took that as a HUGE compliment no matter what Ted says...LOL! Sorry...walking down memory lane for a minute here...but you always seem to spark such great memories for me WDW...thank you!! Keep thinking about (and posting about) MM okay?! I sincerely can't stop thinking about it lately ;)

Oh...and Intelligentsia?!
This guy is such a coffee nut! Glad to see him out and about but would like some more pics. Guess I'll just go watch the Brothers trailer some more while I wait!

Happy 4th of July weekend for those who celebrate...this is the best way to kick it off IMHO!!

:-)