Saturday 29 August 2009

Martha's Vineyard Part I - Chilmark, Jake Gyllenhaal, Us and the Prez

Tropical storms, tropical depressions, non-tropical storms, nor'easters, all conspired to deliver "rain all over the place", floods, 12 foot waves, "tropical storm energy", 18 foot waves onto Martha's Vineyard. Along with Barack Obama, BBMISwear and I took the only course of action open to us and fled to the mainland and a fish dinner at Legal Seafood. Despite having to leave the island 12 hours earlier than we wished, there's not an inch of road on MV that we didn't explore. This post is all about one area of the island that is especially close to Jake Gyllenhaal - Chilmark. We loved it so much, I bought the hat.


Chilmark is not your typical town - a store, a community centre with basketball, the Chilmark Tavern (and estate agent and police station combined) and that's about it. The Chilmark Store, right next to the Tavern, is well known to all Jake's fans, but what we didn't know was how good the pizza was, how relaxing it was rocking in the chairs, listening to the film producer next to us discuss how he was taking a movie in November to New Mexico.






The Chilmark Road Race, run just this month, has left its mark - literally. The startline was easy to spot due to a line across the road with START written on it. Call me Einstein.




The end, by the town hall, was also notable because it was right next to Chris Fisher's Beetlebung Farm. The sign in the background indicates where you can buy organic veg and flowers from the farm. And tomatoes (ask BBMISwear about that). A few metres to the left is the Chilmark Community Centre where Jake and Brad Silberling (of Moonlight Mile) have played hoops. I doubt they did as well as BBMISwear who got the ball in the net everytime, even though she didn't have a ball.



We've never felt alone on the island.


Time to take a breather...


Pics from IHJ and WDW.

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Aww. Great post and pics.
Maybe I'll visit MV one day too. Seems to be great there. :)

Gail said...

You two look like you are having so much fun. I enjoyed your visit to Martha's Vineyard. Thanks for sharing your great time.

BBMISwear said...

I just had to pop in to say I don't know what I've enjoyed more over the last 4 days...taking part in WDW's crazy photo shoot or reading the comments from everyone regarding the pictures and reports about our trip! Someone even recognized "The Target T-shirt" - that blew me away and made me smile from ear to ear!!

It has been a wild week and at times we have been doubled over with laughter (if I had to pick the time I laughed the hardest - and felt the wackiest - I think it was doing the "hand thingie pose" in the finish line pic)! That was right up there with the post office counter pose and playing basketball on JG's local court. (BTW - WDW made it sound like I only did well at B-ball because I wasn't using a ball...not true!!...I did get one "real" basket before the day was done). Oh the things we do when we are in our crazy moods. Hey...it's vacation...LMAO!

WDW has done a terrific job with pictures and recaps and I can't thank her enough for creating this virtual scrapbook of our experiences. I feel honored to be a part of it all with one of my favorite Brits!

More fun to come...if Danny don't get us...ha ha!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Rather wet out there... :D

Hi there Sandy :D I hope you make it some time, you'd love it.

Thanks Gail! I think we left the island at the right time but it was perfect when we were there. I can't wait to get back. We had so much fun - I'm glad it shows!

Hey BBMISwear! Your prowess on the Chilmark basketball court was quite a sight to see and could have had a post on its own. I'm sure Jake will be keen to 'shoot some hoop' (is that the expression?) with you :D

It was just perfect Jaking across Mass. with you! And the places you found and the laughs we've had. We are soooo doing it again!! And I think there'll be some fun tonight :-) xx

paulh said...

The Chilmark Store looks familiar. I'm pretty sure I've been there. It was on a Sunday morning, and we were picking up Sunday newspapers. I doubt that the Gyllenhaals had their place on MV yet. Jake's main leisure activities would probably have revolved around Little League.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul :) I like thinking that the pictures have called up some old memories.

The storm made me go to watch District 9 but now off to Boston, just as all the Presidents leave :)

I hope everyone's having a good day :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures, WDW - you're a great pair, you two, you must re-cap other Jake films - ! Morocco, anyone?

pia said...

oh that was me, above

paulh said...

I just saw "Adam," about which critic Owen Gleiberman [EW.com] had this to say:

"The way Dancy portrays Adam (with great skill), he's a hermetically shy, overgrown whiz kid who's like Forrest Gump with a touch of Norman Bates and the look of an elegantly skinny framed Jake Gyllenhaal."

So, Jake wasn't in "Adam," but at least some people thought of him when they watched it....

Uli said...

Hey Einstein! (LOL!)
Thank you for another wonderful post, you two!!

Sorry that your trip to MV was cut short due to the weather, but I hope you enjoyed your fish dinner with Barrack! Is he a nice guy? :D :D :D

I guess you can imagine that I found it particularly wonderful that you managed to buy the probably best tomatoes in the world!! ;)

Hugs!
Uli

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! Back in Boston, being a tourist :D After a day of heavy rain, it's gorgeous again.

Hi Pia! OMG Morocco! That'd be great - not a huge tangine fan though. I like the idea of re-enacting some of that - I'll leave the parkour for BBMISwear!

Hey Paul :D I saw District 9 yesterday and I've just learnt that Star Trek is playing at the IMAX! Yeay!

Uli! Barrack and us had a great time on the island. I hope he got some of those tomatoes too. I did keep my eyes well open for First Dog. Hugs to you x

I hope everyone's having a good Sunday :D

pia said...

O gosh I cant believe you guys let a lil hurricane scare you back to the mainland! - the POTUS had to attend a funeral, you guys coulda just boarded up your shutters and opened a bottle of glog. . .

oh well. can't we find a way to make you settle in, WDW - pretty soon it will be autumn in New England - !

saw Raising Woodstock today - lov'd it - great sound track -

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! We had to leave the island then as we had a very special date in Boston of our own which we couldn't miss - see the new post. It was funny though as on the island locals were saying that they wouldn't stop the ferries, it's all a false alarm etc. And whaddya know, they stopped the ferries.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Woodstock movie.

I love this state - it's so beautiful and the people have been great :D I had a lovely day in Boston today - what a city!