Thursday 27 August 2009

One friend to another - Jake Gyllenhaal interviews Natalie Portman

One enigma questions another - Jake Gyllenhaal asks Natalie Portman the questions in September's issue of Interview and although it is Natalie's interview the questions are our first chance to 'listen' to Jake in quite some time. The extract can be found here with the full interview soon to be in the shops. Here are some very brief extracts.

'PORTMAN: Thank you for saying that, but I’m far from fearless. I’m afraid of everything. But maybe when you’re afraid of everything, it sort of seems like you’re scared of nothing. GYLLENHAAL: Well, there’s no courage without fear, so you must have great courage because you’re afraid of everything.'


'I went to the Smithsonian just the other week—probably around the same time as you were at the Laserium. I saw this show that Liam Neeson narrated about black holes. I think they had it at the Rose Center for Earth and Space in New York City first, and now it’s at the Smithsonian. But it was also one of those things where you felt like you were being transported back to the ’70s. We watched it in this dome, so it kind of felt like a black hole. It would have been weird if we were having these parallel hallucinatory experiences at the same time.'

'PORTMAN: And so I’m an actor. GYLLENHAAL: There’s very good money in that—not a lot of skill required, but very good money. PORTMAN: [both laugh] I agree. Lucky. I mean, I can ride a bike, but I feel like most people can do that. GYLLENHAAL: You could be a bike messenger . . .'


'GYLLENHAAL: My favorite situation that I was ever in was when I was on a plane with a group of people and all of them took Ambien except for me, and two of them had adverse reactions. They were awake and aggressive . . . Apparently aggression is one of the side effects of Ambien. PORTMAN: And they were completely unaware, right—like they didn’t remember it after? GYLLENHAAL: No, I think they remember it. Everyone else was dead asleep, and these two people were like, bashing their heads against the side of the plane, trying to jump out. So I was like, If taking this pill means that there’s even a 30 percent chance of me getting aggressive like that, then I would just rather stay at peace. PORTMAN: You’re a very peaceful man, Jake.'

Thanks to FF for the heads up!

As for the Massachusetts road trip? It continues and, as a taster for the next post, here we set sail for Martha's Vineyard. More adventures in the next post!


Pictures from IHJ and WDW.

12 comments:

Monica said...

Great interview.

Very good to see you enjoy a trip with a friend. You and BBM I Swear deserve all the fun and happiness!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

((((Monica)))) Thank you! We are having such a good time on the island :) Thinking of you xx

Carol said...

Looks like you two are having a fab trip. Enjoy:).

Great interview aswell.

Sandy said...

Thanks for the interview. I'm not the biggest NP fan, but I'm looking forward to "Brothers", mainly for Jake. :)

I hope you'll continue to enjoy your trip. :)

TD said...

Lovely blue sky! Enjoy. TD My word is 'catismsu', I love it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning!

Hi Carol! We're having a wonderful time - I've fallen in love with Martha's Vineyard. I'm looking forward to posting some fun pictures later :D

Hi there Sandy! How I'm looking forward to Brothers... Thank you :D I can't recommend this part of the world enough, no wonder Jake loves it.

Have a great day everyone :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TD! Posting at the same time! The blue here is amazing! I can't wait to show you the pics later!

Anonymous said...

Are the beaches sandy, or mostly rocky pebbles and gravel, WD?
Water choppy? You do know you can go out on a boat and find whales?
How cool to find whales and take their pictures!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add that I love it when you go travelling! You have a way of taking us with you.:)

(((WDW)))

get real said...

(((Monica)))

What an adorable interview between Jake and Natalie!! I love their chemistry, it comes through even in print, and the great questions Jake asked. Fantastic. :D

WDW and BBMISwear, you guys seem to be having the best time! Loving all the pics and recaps. :) Hope the rain today isn't hitting you on MV. Enjoy and hope you see the Obamas!

paulh said...

Let's drink a toast to peaceful Jake.

There's a new shopping mall in Dedham, now. It's called Legacy Place, and it's at the intersection of Route 128 (a.k.a. Rte 95) and Route 1. The movie theater at the mall should be opening tonight....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon! Most of the beaches seem to be lovely and sandy, but a lot are private. Just beautiful :) Thanks!

Hi Get Real! We had to leave the island 12 hours earlier due to the storms - it really looked bad and now the rain is pouring. But we did all we really wanted to do. I'll be back!

We saw the motorcade to take the Obamas to their helicopter!

Hi Paul! That's great about the theatre - not too far from where I am now.

New Chilmark po9st up now! Have a good night :D