Thursday 24 September 2009

30 (or so) out of 35 people said that they enjoyed Prince of Persia's preview

Today the first preview review (if there can be such a thing) of a rough cut of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time appeared on the net. This preview was watched in Jerry Bruckheimer's own screening room by 35 people and of those 35 people, '30 or so' said they enjoyed the film. While this should be greeted as a great response, typically, and frustratingly, the one preview review is posted by one of the four or so who not only didn't like it but would have preferred the movie if it ended with everyone getting slaughtered.


I was rather bemused by his judgement that the actors 'all speak in a quasi-british accent, but since everyone is doing it, it was fine.' Correct me if I'm wrong but Gemma Arterton, Sir Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina and Toby Kebbell are actually British, not 'quasi-British' and if anyone can tell me what a 'British accent' is like when it's at home, I'd like to hear it.


However, I did like this bit: 'As mentioned above, they did get many things right. The actors are all fine in their roles and there is a nice camaraderie with Dastan and his two brothers, as well as good chemistry between Dastan and Tamina. The movie was a little over two hours and it moved at a very good pace with only a couple of slow spots, but nothing really needs to be cut or added to this movie. The cinematography was good as well with some pretty epic shots that will come together nicely when the cgi is done.'


'The action is very parkour-esque with a lot of running and jumping off of walls, etc. There is quite a lot of action, but some of it is action for action sake and doesn't serve the story, but is interesting and entertaining nonetheless. Finally, we get to the coolest part of the movie, the dagger of time. Every time the dagger is used (about three or four times throughout the film) it becomes the next bright spot of the film. It is a very cool effect and creates some very good scenes. I really wished that they had used it more in the film because it really brought the quality and creativeness up a notch.' While we wait to hear from the 85% or so who did enjoy this film, here is the review in question.


While we wait for one movie, filming is getting underway for another. Love and Other Drugs has another addition to the cast, a musician-actor called Margot B. She's a lucky lady to get the role because when asked who her celebrity crush is, there can be only one answer: 'Jake Gyllenhaal'. Here is the interview.


Maggie Gyllenhaal, meanwhile, continues to fend off the same old questions about her brother: 'Q: Jake Gyllenhaal is your younger brother – do you have any sibling rivalry with him? M: I’m so bored with that question. I don’t feel competitive with him any more. Q You and Jake did Donnie Darko together. Would you like to work together again? M: We’re not planning to do it right now, but maybe at some point in the future. It was a lot of fun before.'


Includes pictures from IHJ, Lego and here.

13 comments:

Monica said...

The main problem lies with the script. Everything that happens in this movie is very predictable, and it being a Disney movie, you can guess the plot points well before they happen.

90% of the blockbuster are predictable, including POTC. Films like Dark Night are rare exception.

remember how the Pirates movies were actually clever and funny?
POTC is very boring. The three films are unbearable.

Finally, this movie has an ending that pretty much undoes all of the character development for everyone except Dastan, which gives way to a nice happy package at the end, but just feels like a copout.

This is what happens at the end of the game.

I like to know that all cast is well in the film.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Monica! Absolutely! This person sounded like they'd walked into the wrong film - no understanding of what a blockbuster is all about and no knowledge of the game background. This is not a film noir, it's a Disney family movie. Agreed about the POTC movies. I liked the first one but I'd hesitate to say 2 and 3 were 'clever and funny'.

So he wants no 'nice happy package at the end' - yep, let's kill them all off and leave the cinema distraught at the death of our prince. Can't we just enjoy it? (and then buy the lego set?). I'm surprised to think that anyone should expect Prince of Persia to have a sad ending - why would one play the game if you can't win it?

Interesting though!

I hope everyone's having a good evening :D

Monica said...

I like the lego toys. I think it will be so beautiful on my desk.

I remember the SNL, but here in Brazil they did not show the complete program. Some parts were cut.

I would like to see Jake and Maggie together in a movie in the future. She is so wonderful.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think they'd look great on my desk too, Monica :D We got the same version in the UK as you did I think, very cut - a big shame.

I really hope the time will come when Maggie and Jake can act together again - with Peter too, ideally.

sheba said...

Watching Rendition at the moment and love how Peter walks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gemma Arterton, Sir Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina and Toby Kebbell are actually British, not 'quasi-British' and if anyone can tell me what a 'British accent' is like when it's at home, I'd like to hear it.


That is the quote to beat all quotes LMAO. Why the heck did this person bother to post if he can't get his facts straight. His dumb remarks unfortunately does not legitimise the rest of his statements. This is a fantasy he clearly didn't want to allow himself to be transported into. Lawrence of Arabia it ain't.

That lasercats picture is Highlarious ;D. Thanks WDW. Need the fun right now.

winterbird said...

i love that people call british people speaking in a quasi-british accent! LOL... maybe they meant me, who would learn to speak in quasi british accent just to be close to Jake's :))))

I agree with Monica, I found Pirates movies EXTREMELY boring and NOT clever. In fact, I fell asleep for the first two ones and never bother to watch the third one. So... what is a good blockbuster?

btw, I love that BBM/Jake reference from the new House season! That's my no. 1 show :)

Monica said...

BBM I Swear and all gyllenhalics:

talituna: I JUST MET JAKE GYLLENHAAL ON THE SET OF HIS NEW MOVIE "LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS" http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q9yvt2&s=4
half a minute ago from web

paulh said...

I thought that "Pirates of the Caribbean" was clever and funny, but no sequels were needed. At all. Ever. The second one was so bad I left halfway through. I liked Calypso in the fourth one, and the scene where a lot of ships are fighting while sailing around the edge of a huge ocean vortex. Special effects can sometimes be worth seeing on the big screen.

Let's remember that the film that was previewed was not the film you and I will eventually see. Also, it's great to have audiences like a film, but the most valuable viewers at an early preview are the ones who can think of ways the film could be improved. I'm sure that the producers can adjust for viewers who were in their own little worlds....

I saw "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" today. Anna Farris, who played LaShawn in "Brokeback Mountain," has a major role in the film.

Finally, Randy Quaid and his wife have been arrested for not paying a bill at a ranch in California.

Anonymous said...

He looks amazing . . . love that sweater, and his neck. *thud*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone!

Hi Sheba! I think this guy walked into the wrong theatre! Seems bizarre to accuse British people of speaking in a quasi-British accent. We should try that one :D I love the laser cats pic!

Morning Winterbird! I did enjoy the first one but I'm hoping for much more from PoP. I thought you'd like the House ref :DD

Hey Monica! Isn't that a great pic! Jake is looking so good for this film.

Morning Paul :D I completely agree about Pirates. It must be strange seeing a film before it gets its cgi, music etc. It's very positive to hear so many people liked it this early.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs? What an odd name... :D

Hi Anon! He looks wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

I am sure we'll be seeing more picks of Jake (and hopefully Anne together) as filming goes on. I heard there is going to be an outdoor shot in the rain. Not sure if Jake and Anne are part of that scene.

And I think it's great that fan got a chance to get a pic of him. I wonder if that is how his hair is going to be while filming? Combed back.

I've found that critics don't always get it right. I've seen many movies that were trashed by critics and the reverse was true, I've seen movies that were given rave reviews and I fought to keep from falling asleep (including oscar winners like Out of Africa and Chariots of Fire)

I'm sure we'll hear more reviews way before May

sweetpea

paulh said...

"Chariots of Fire" suffered from a gender gap. I'm sure a lot of women viewers didn't get wjhy it was supposed to be a big deal, while many men who saw it got lumps in their throats and misty eyes. It was called "a male weepy" at the time, and I very much understood why. The same phenomenon may be at work with "Time-traveler's wife," which I found tremendously moving, but my (female) boss didn't understand at all.

But, yes, "Out of Africa" really was a bore

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Interesting comment, Paul :) I'm biased because I live where Chariots of Fire was filmed and I may not be typical but... Out of Africa? I love Out of Africa! I've still not seen Traveller's Wife although I loved the book. I'm waiting for the DVD. I like the idea that we have male and female weepies :)