Friday 30 April 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal has an 'old British Empire moment', but isn't rugged enough for Gemma? New WonderCon videos

May Day! Almost two years ago to the day, and most precisely two years ago to the day of the Prince of Persia world premiere in London on 9 May, we heard that Jake Gyllenhaal would play the prince. We're used to rumours and so this one was only slightly more certain than others and yet here we are, entering May 2010, at last the month of Prince of Persia's release and it is very real indeed. It can't come soon enough, not least because I'm running out of shelfspace.


Jake Gyllenhaal is featured in the LA Times today: "I actually jump out of a window and land on the back of my horse, just like in the old movie, Zorro-style". Jake has a few words to say about the Prince of Persia 'general', Mike Newell, who directs with his own inimitable, British way of doing things. '"He's a big, robust guy; he's really a general, like how you imagine a D.W. Griffith might carry himself on the set," Gyllenhaal said. "He would use a bullhorn if you handed him one. He's got this bellowing, old-school British accent — you hear him from behind the camera, 'That's smashing, Jake, smashing. Well done, my boy.' You're not living in 'The Sheltering Sky,' but it's easy to pretend you were in this old British Empire moment."'


Bearing in mind that I live in a town where May Day is heralded in each year by people wearing full evening dress chucking themselves off medieval bridges at dawn into the Thames (renamed Isis here) while choirs sing in towers (followed by a boozy breakfast down the pub at 6.30am), I've got to say these 'old British Empire moments' are not quite as fleeting as Jake might expect. I suddenly realise that I say 'smashing' a lot...

Back to the article... Mike Newell on Jake: "He puts a human heart in the middle of a movie that will absolutely need one to connect with the audience."


Jake repeats one of his well-known tailor images: "I grew up with filmmakers and I consider myself a filmmaker, sort of, but as an actor taking on a role I know that I'm just a piece of a situation. What I mean by that is you become part of the story that will be up there on the screen and that makes you want to try a really wide variety of situations. You try on a coat, you wear it for a while and you give it back. That's what acting is.... Sometimes as an actor you just want to try something on." More here.

The World of the Internet has been enjoying the recently released pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan without a shirt. Obviously, this enjoyment is based solely upon an appreciation of historical accuracy in Jake's reenactment of early medieval daring do. You can appreciate this once more below.



And so, you can imagine my disbelief at seeing an interview with Gemma Princess of Persia Arterton today in which, when asked whether she was a Daniel Craig or a Jake Gyllenhaal girl, she replied: 'Um, I'd probably say Daniel Craig. He's more rugged...'


Without ado, I consulted my dictionary: Rugged = 'Having a rough irregular surface;.. Having strong features marked with furrows or wrinkles;... Having a sturdy build or strong constitution;... Tempestuous;... Demanding great effort, ability, or endurance;... Lacking culture or polish; coarse and rude.' Jake indeed does not have the 'rugged face of the old sailor', not is he a 'rugged trapper' with a ribald wit. If Gemma wants someone who is the epitome of 'the rugged weather of the North Atlantic', then that's fine by me...

It's great to see two new videos today from WonderfulCon! Lots of Jake and Jerry and I am so ready to see this film!




Includes pictures from links, Disney and IHJ.

6 comments:

BBMISwear said...

I'm so glad that it was at this moment I decided to take a little coffee break (although no coffee is involved...just WDW and Jake...LOL)! Good timing on my part to catch a new post!

Great LA Times article - thank you for posting!! My first reaction to Gemma's comment was "Is Gemma insane?!?!?" But after I read your exact definition I'm pretty much thinking "sure...enjoy your rugged Daniel...I'm glad you don't consider Jake to be like that"! Ha!

Always good to keep seeing the PoP stuff...it's really gearing up now...how many days to wait WDW?! :-)

Oh, BTW - I laughed this morning when I woke up to an email from Ted titled "WTF?" and then he went on to tell me that suddenly he had a bunch of people requesting to read our story yesterday...LOL! I told him that probably had something to do with good 'ol WDW! She has more power than she knows - hee hee!! Pretty cool there's new interest in our story all this time later.

Well, back at it for me...just wanted to stop in. Hope to get back this weekend...can't get enough these days! And Happy May Day (loved your description)!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

I love it - great post, WDW! I loved Jake's impression of Mike Newell. :) Happy May Day!

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm glad too, BBMISwear :-) Good timing! Yes, Gemma can have her rugged, I'll go with Jake... Er... not too many days at all!! Fabulous, that, isn't it?

That is so funny - I'm really pleased that the post introduced a bunch of new readers to your story. They'll love it! I can just hear Ted saying that...

I can assure you, I won't be up singing with the larks tomorrow dawn :D But walking around Oxford tomorrow, there'll be more than a few lying around making the place look untidy!

Thanks, Bertie! I wis I could hear Jake saying 'smashing, Jake, smashing'!

I hope everyone's having a great Friday!

Anonymous said...

wonderful report as always WDW. I am so glad that Jake had so much fun making POP and Mike Newell admires him.

I have to wonder if Gemma had her eyes opened or closed when she made that comparison between Jake and Daniel Craig cause it would be a no brainer for me. I'd choose Jake everytime. (DC? GAG!)

thanks
sweetpea

Carol said...

Jake and Daniel Craig is that even worth asking:) Whilst I can see the attraction of Daniel Craig he doesn't compare to Jake.

Love your description of the May Day celebrations WDW:)

Stopping by here these days is fantastic. There's so much going on. Hoping the posters and trailers will start appearing soon.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning and Happy May Day! You'll be pleased to hear that Oxford is indeed full of drunken people looking very tired in full evening dress while wearing lots of leaves and flowers in their hair. And the morris dancers are out in force!! I'm gonna take refuge with Robert Downey Jr in a metal suit.

Thanks, Sweetpea!

Morning Carol! I remember at the BAFTAS giving Daniel Craig barely a glance as we walked past him feeling so excited we'd seen Jake! No comparison at all :)

Have a lovely Saturday everyone and get dancing round those Maypoles!