Saturday 1 May 2010

Good news! Jake Gyllenhaal on Spike TV, Dastan's a Dennis the Menace, a little competition and Oxford's Iron Man

Before I get going tonight, I have to thank Disney for the wonderful pressie in the post last night of tickets for the advance screening of Prince of Persia in Leicester Square next Friday! I won't be able to speak about the film for a week, due to the timelag with the US - noone wants spoilers - but it's shaping up to be an incredible weekend. Judging by some tweets over the last few hours, it also looks like Jake may have just arrived in the UK. Typically, it's decided to rain today for the first time in weeks... but then it is May Day. Anything else wouldn't be traditional.



Last night Spike TV showed an interview with Jake Gyllenhaal that was conducted at WonderCon last month, in which Jake talked about the 'nice little challenge' that was the Prince of Persia. He also admits to encountering a fair few spikes and severe falls while playing the games. Many thanks to IHJ for capturing the video for us all.



Jake also features in this month's edition of The Notebook (Kensington and Chelsea). They have now removed the interview from their website but here are a few snippets. Jake: 'I love watching this type of film. So it’s hard to deny yourself the opportunity to be up there on screen acting in one of them. There are all sorts of different aspects to acting, but if you’re a very physical person as I am, it’s great to just jump around for once, to leap off buildings, ride horses, play with swords and get into a lot of fights. It’s really great fun. The other thing is that if you’re going to do a huge movie, then do it with people who know how to do it, and there’s no one better than Jerry Bruckheimer.'




'Q. It seems like Dastan has a bit of Indiana Jones in him. Was that your intention? A. Oh yes, definitely, along with Dennis the Menace and all the rest. I like that Dastan’s a mischief-maker, a bit of a curmudgeon, that he nearly always thinks he’s right and that he’s quite sarcastic and wry and above all very cheeky.'


'Q. You’ve played characters based on real people, but where do you begin with a fictitious 6th century Persian prince? A.There’s lots of pretentious research I could tell you about, but it really did start with the accent and also with projecting my voice. For a movie like this to be successful, you need a grand scale to everything, a bigness, something theatrical. I worked with a voice coach, and she brought in these ancient texts. I would stand at one end of the pool in Los Angeles, she’d stand at the other end, and I would shout things like, 'Over the wall, men! Over the wall!' It was like doing theatre. It put a bit more fire inside, made me feel a bit more like a warrior. There was a lot of physical work too...'



'It was six months of training and what was important about it to me was that it was very functional. Everything I did was so I could do the same thing on set, not for aesthetics. I wore a flak jacket to work out and carried an extra 20lbs when I went on a run to simulate the armour, which is very heavy. Whenever I ran I’d also carry something in my hand to get used to running with a sword. I also did lots of boxing to make sure I was even on both sides, because Dastan often fights with two swords at once and everything has to be symmetrical.'


'Q. You never thought about getting a stuntman to do the difficult bits for you?
A.[Laughs] No, I always want to do as much as I can myself. And I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to fight sequences. I want to get every move down perfectly, and I refuse to accept anything less than that.'


Any attempt to deny the Englishness of the Prince of Persia crew can be put to rest instantly by these images of Mike Newell's desert outfit. Best to do a doubletake, such is the success of his blending in...


The LA Times has written an article today on how men are wearing less bling, citing Jake Gyllenhaal on the cover of GQ as their example. Not the early medieval Persian way at all.


A little WDW Competition

Due to reasons beyond my recall, I have a surplus of the 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Amazing New 3D Never Seen Before Poster Book' complete with 3D glasses! It includes a 'GIANT pull-out 3D poster and over 50 3D stickers' and about 30 pages of full colour pictures, some of which are also 3D (including a skeleton...). I thought I'd take a pic (please excuse the state of my rug, it's not used to modelling and didn't decide to sweep itself first).


There are three to give away - all you have to do is write to me at wetdarkandwild@googlemail.com and tell me the name of the king who adopted Dastan as his son and the names of Dastan's two royal brothers. The correct answers will be put into my Red Sox hat and the impartial Mr WDW will pull out the three winners. The closing date is Premiere Day 9 May. I don't mind where you live, just as long as you have a letter box.

A May Day Interlude

Today, as expected, a lot of people in ballgowns and tuxedos got tipsy listening to the choir sing from the tower of Magdalen College in Oxford at dawn. Despite the attempts by police year after year to prevent people from chucking themselves into 2 foot of water (full of crayfish too), thirty made the leap and amazingly didn't get hurt. But they did get wet. Good job the pubs opened at 6am today. And then the morris dancers came out for a twirl. They even put a straw boater on Oxford's very own Iron Man (by Antony 'Angel of the North' Gormley). The BBC had it all covered.


Talking of Iron Man, I saw No 2 this afternoon and I've written about it on MovieBrit. It is a bit spoilery.

Pictures from Disney, courtesy of IHJ, WDW and, with humble thanks, Mr WDW.

16 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a lovely May Day :D Hopefully a little dryer than round here...

Did a review of Iron Man 2 - it is a little but not much spoilery - and you can read it here

Jake Fan said...

Boy, does Jake look sexy as the Prince.
I hope the movie will do well.

Thank you for the updates. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

He does, Jake Fan! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

WOW that last photo is HOT, he looks so mysterious

I'm one of those people who don't want spoilers.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

The pics are hot. This site doesn't post spoilers, Anon.

Leslie said...

Those pics are great! Jake is hot as always :-)

I have to say I'm getting slightly nervous about the PoP release. I've seen ads for Sex & the City 2 EVERYWHERE. It comes out the same day as PoP. I haven't seen one television commercial for PoP nor have I seen any subway ads in NYC. I've heard SATC 2 is already selling tickets & selling quite well. I know they have completely difference audiences but I'm concerned that PoP may lose out on the #1 spot. I read comments on a gossip blog that people were surprised they hadn't seen any ads for PoP. Most of my frineds only know about it because I can't stop talking about it!

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Ruby said...

I went into town yesterday and the two big hoardings on the way that I had been hoping to see decorated with Dastan-Jake actually had Russell Crowe's ugly (or do I mean 'rugged'?) mug on them. :(

But I like to think Bruckheimer and Disney know what they are doing, they have done this once or twice before! :D I expect the promotion to start in earnest next weekend. Now that Jake is in in town the interviews will begin! :D

I certainly won't be part of any SATC audience. *shudders at the thought* I could never make it through a TV episode, I couldn't sit through a whole movie. I'd be out of my seat before Carrie Bradshaw got to the second sentence of her extremely annoying voice-over. :D :D

It must be a bank-holiday weekend. It's binning it down. So much for my day working in the garden. Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! A cold, wet and windy day - Definitely a day for hibernatory Jaking today :D Opened the airlock to go out for a coffee and now back in. We've had beautiful warm sun for weeks - honest, Jake!

Hi Leslie! I'm relieved to say I've not seen much here for SATC - thank heavens - but you can book tickets for that now at my cinema even though it's out here a week later than PoP. There are a lot of TV ads here for Iron Man and Robin Hood. But I'm hoping it'll kick off this week. Hopefully we're gonna get bombarded. PoP is showing at the IMAX in London but they still haven't announced the days, or at least they hadn't the last time I looked last week.

Morning Rubes! OMG Russell Crowe - there is rugged and there is rugged and RC is most definitely rugged... Ugh! But yeah, I agree Jerry is the man for the job and you can bet we'll get an explosion from this week onwards.

I've never seen an episode of SATC in my life - I'm not planning on changing that any time soon! But I have friends who rave about it... I'm not a good shopper - except at shopping for PoP stuff. I'm very good at that.

Shame about the weather - I was hoping to watch some jousting today. Maybe tomorrow...

My word is muckers :D

Have a good day! Time for a fried brekkie :)

BBMISwear said...

I finally got a chance to come back here and am loving all the new PoP stuff! A big Thank You to those Disney Marketing people and those GORGEOUS new publicity photos they've given us! *THUD*

Tickets to May 7th - Whoooowheee!! I am so excited for you and your gang - can't wait to hear every little detail!!

I recorded the Spike TV interviews of Jake, Jerry, Mike and Jordan the other night and really enjoyed them all. The way they did the show was so much better than all the other one on one interviews at Wondercon that we've seen. Being in a quiet area instead of that huge crowded press room was key but also as each person spoke they kept showing tons of PoP footage...some I had not seen before or if I did it wasn't the typical repeated scenes so it seemed new to me the way they did it. It was all edited together wonderfully and would get anyone pumped up for this movie if they weren't already!!

Thank you for the interview we wouldn't have seen otherwise with it coming off the internet. And I'm learning so much about May Day from you - LOL! Interesting stuff! Ooooh...and the contest...how fun!! I do have to say I LMAO at "Due to reasons beyond my recall" - now you know exactly why this happened! You and all your excitement for fun PoP stuff were practically ordering things in your sleep - ha ha! Hey, it's all good. And isn't it fun?! Every time I buy a new PoP product I feel like a kid (and my collection is surely growing - don't know what the family thinks but can't say I really care - hee hee).

Well, off to the regular Sunday stuff. Will be sneaking peeks on the internet for any new news. Jake already in London - Wow! This could only mean great stuff to come and SOON!! (No pictures yet?? We need pictures)!!

Have a great rest of the weekend all!

:-)

Ruby said...

No pics yet, but there was a tweeted sighting of Jake at Claridges (in running shorts, oh my). I wonder if he's making friends with Gordon Ramsey. :D It would be highly entertaining to see Jake on the F-Word, but I don't think that's on TV at the moment. :D


My Lego horse for Dastan arrived yesterday. Does the horse have a name, I can't just called him 'Dastan's horse'.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning BBMISwear :-) They're stunning pics! I'm gonna have to move out of my flat soon. It's got more PoP gear in it than any Disney store. And now I have a Dastan letting for my carkeys :) yeah! We need London pics! Have a good Sunday - I'm having a busy day on the Wii :D

I wanna see Jake in Claridges in shorts! Hi Ruby! Bit chilly for shorts today but Jake can wear as little as he likes :) It's great to know he's in town :)

Anonymous said...

"It's great to know he's in town :)"

Yes it is!

But then you must give him back.:)

Twitter says he brunched in Chelsea today.

I love twitter.

Anonymous said...

Jake and his fan Matt in London:

Jake and Matty

Matts comments made me laugh....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 16:31! I can hardly remember a time before Twitter now. I know a lot can be rubbish but sometimes you get some golden tweets :) Chelsea, eh?

Hey there 17:11 - that's a great pic!

After playing Lego Indian Jones on the wii all afternoon, I wish they'd do something similar for PoP with that lego!

Leslie said...

To Ruby: I believe Bruckhemier and Disney know what they're doing as well. I'm just extremely excited for this film & I wanna be bombarded with promotions for it already! I also want to see the movie do really well.

Hi WDW!! I'll admit it I'm a fan of SATC but I'm not interested in the 2nd film at all. It's obvious it's only being done for the money & I will not be giving my money to them. Instead I will go see PoP a bunch of times!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Leslie! I hope we do get this bombardment - I sense it could get pretty crazy! I don't know much about it but with this second SATC movie, I get the feeling it's been rushed out.