Friday 30 July 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal does not want to compare his films to fast food and making medition work

With everything being quiet on the GyllenFront (who knows - maybe as we speak Jake is ironing his suit for Chelsea's big day tomorrow?), this is the perfect opportunity to post an interview that Jake Gyllenhaal conducted with German OK back during the PoP frenzy days of May. But as a responsible blogger, this post has been certificated R and comes with an advance warning: This post is not suitable for those of a delicate disposition or a sensitive nature. In this interview, Jake makes wanton and gratuitous use of the F word - yes, it's worse than you think. He says 'fart'.


Q: In your new film you are almost unrecognisable. Were you tired of sensitive dramas like "Brokeback Mountain"?
JG: The choice of film has the same principles behind it as eating out - sometimes one has an appetite for haute cuisine and then sometimes it might be for pizza. Although I wouldn't compare my films with fast food! (Laughs) So a role like "Prince of Persia" hadn't come my way before. The little boy in me, of course, was immediately hooked when he heard that he also had to do swordfighting, horseriding and must save beautiful women from nasty villains.


Q: For this role, you had to physically transform yourself...
JG: I gained about 15 pounds and for that I had to drink so many protein shakes, that just the thought of it makes me shake. But there was no choice. It wasn't for aesthetic reasons. I didn't work on a film for a year just for a pin-up contest. But because I wanted the role. I had to be extremely athletic to do my stunts myself. Sure, I could have had a double for everything but that would have been cheating the audience and myself.


Q: In particular, the female audience would appreciate it that you've trained so much.
JG: Maybe, but I hope that they see more than just a beautiful illusion. When I play a soldier, I shave my head bald, and for an action movie, I just kill myself to get into shape. This is pure craftsmanship and on the last day of shooting I said goodbye to all the training. Who has the time to maintain that constantly? For me, life is just too short to concentrate six times a week on the biceps.


Q: After separation from Reese Witherspoon You are now together with Rachel McAdams...?
JG: Could we please leave this issue out? Thank you. The more you talk about your private life, the more often you'll see your own face at the supermarket. This overkill is the greatest threat for young actors.


Q: How do you spend your free time today?
JG: I prefer to meditate regularly. Especially in my business, in which I sometimes have to travel half a dozen countries in a month, it's hard to separate yourself from the fast paced world around you. You can be swept away and have to force yourself to pause, to listen to your inner voice clearly.


Q: Is it hard to learn this distance from the outside world?
JG: I thought at first that it would be impossible. In my first experiments, my thoughts still raced and I wanted to give it up. But at some point it's like jogging. From time to time, to overcome the baser instincts, the body learns how to do it increasingly faster. Meanwhile, even after the greatest stress I can turn off within fifteen minutes. It's only stupid when one has eaten too much and gases form in the stomach... if you understand what I mean (Chuckles.) The thought of a fart every now and then pulls me from my concentration.


Q: You have studied Eastern religions before. Would you describe youtself as spiritual?
JG: No, that sounds presumptuous. I'm looking more for connections and want to understand better how we humans, despite different beliefs, are all linked. My father is a Christian and my mother's Jewish, while I'm interested in Buddhism.

Q: In previous interviews you were always extremely serious, and you seem very relaxed now ...
JG: I'm glad to hear it, because I feel the same way, but sometimes the environment doesn't behave the same as one would want it. I think I am generally more relaxed, not only from meditation, but because of getting older and experience. Before, I wanted to change the world with every film, I bit off too much in my roles and made my life difficult with ambition. Today I just let things take their course.


Q: Is it true that you had a dispute with your sister, actress Maggie Gyllenhaal, who also had film roles?
JG: Maggie's been in the world a few years longer than me and all the love I have is sometimes measured by that. That was detrimental to me at the beginning of my career, of course. But in a creative environment, there's always competition and although I admire her work, I was probably totally jealous. It's complicated between siblings. But all that was long ago, and though each of us has gone our own way, we help each other when we can.

Very interesting. Just imagine the feeling of saying goodbye to training after so many months of dedication. I'd have been straight down the pub for fish and chips and spotted dick and custard. The translation, of course, is mine and all errors are also mine and not Jake's.


Source. Wonderful old new pictures from IHJ from one of my favourite photoshoots!

A post on MovieBrit tonight on Sacred SciFi Cows - please don't reboot me...!

17 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello! Hope everyone's having a good Friday.

If anyone's interested, a post on MB tonight on Sacred Cows - the films I don't want to see rebooted!

Monica said...

It's a great interview. Really.

thank you, wet dark!

Dvd of Brothers is in my hands. Finally I will go watch this movie!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica :) I agree, I think this is a very special interview - very open and full of heart.

I am so glad you can see Brothers at last!! Fabulous!

BBMISwear said...

Thanks for this interview, WDW, I just flagged it to add to my bedtime reading tonight so don't know what it says yet!

That's great you get to see Brothers finally, Monica - Tommy is one of my favorite Jake characters.

I'm sorry if I confused you the other day, WDW, with me talking about screenings of SC when it was (as you found out) screenings of LAOD that have been happening. I read something on facebook fairly quickly and thought it said SC that people got to see but was obviously mistaken and that wouldn't make sense (without the music, special effects, etc like you said)! It was so hard to read the "review" about LAOD - I wanted to read it so, so much but I only scanned it quickly to get some info but not too much - seemed like a ton of spoilers and I don't want to know too much before hand.

It seems I may have insulted a person (an Anon - no name given) who may be from Kansas City? I didn't see anyone else mention Kansas City in the comments that day so I'm assuming it was me. I'm not sure why this person got so defensive and felt the need to list off so much about this city and even went as far to say "Because it's in the middle of the country doesn't mean there's 'nothing there'. People do know what's going on in the world and are as diverse as any other place." Did someone say that there was nothing there and the people aren't as diverse as any other place in Kansas City? I certainly didn't. I wonder if another commenter said that and I just missed it. Hmmmm. I did say "No disrespect to Kansas City but why THERE?!" because I am envious that there are screenings THERE and not HERE (meaning where I live)! Well, just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion.

Hope we get some new pictures soon (although I have been liking some of the new/old ones that IHJ has been sharing)!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everyone.

Interesting interview, fascinating that Jake does meditation. He seemed to open up in this interview.

I am so grateful for the welcoming and kind atmosphere of this blog and comments. I read another blog today and the tone and comments were not pleasant. I won't be revisiting it.

Thanks again WDW for all you do to keep this a great blog, and the friendliness that is evident here.

Cheers

Tui

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! I hope everyone's having a good weekend :)

Hey BBMISwear :-) Hope you enyoy the interview when you get to it - I love it!

I loved the LAOD review. Fortunately, I didn't find it too spoilery, just enough hints of goodies to come. Cannot wait.

I know just waht you meant about Kansas and obviously, as I said, the only suitable place for an early screening is Oxford - I don't know why Mr Zwick forgot. Hopefully, DJ will already have booked the Picturehouse!

Thank you so, so much Tui! This is a very friendly place - my happy place - and I'm so glad you enjoy it and are contributing to it - thank you!

It is a fascinating interview. Jake's touched on meditation before but not to this depth - it's obviously very important to him as a means of keeping calm. I think normally Jake can be rather hyper. He's said how his brain works too much and his feet don't stop moving - meditation is a great solution for that. For me, it's music and walking. I can't start the working day without a milelong walk with music. Meditation sounds good.

Rabbiting on... Have a good day everyone!

Anonymous said...

I'm the "K.C. anon". I did kinda think your comment was a - why wasn't it here?
I'm not from K.C. but have been there and too often do see comments in articles and sometimes on t.v. which are dismissive of anything that isn't on the east coast or west coast.
A while back someone i know had friends visit from Calif. The girl was 17 or so and had not been out of Calif. and she was constantly surprised that we had cable t.v., that there were Malls in this area..(my favorite..ha)..it went on. I think the only thing she left out was - "and they wear shoes here too". Funny thing was she was looking for a dress for her prom and had looked everywhere at her home and ended up finding just what she wanted in our little "midwestern" town.
So it was a moment of that hitting me or something and I apologize.
I think in her case (not yours cause i do know where you were coming from) it was the showing of ignorance.
I think "ignorance" is a really bothersome thing.

Just as some people treated BBM like it was some sort of joke or treated it like it didn't have any substance. Of which, of course it was all about depth and nuance and substance. Many times tho people never ever saw the movie they just "assumed". They showed their ignorance and bias.

Since there isn't a set-date for SC. If it is as good as it looks like it will be wonder if they might delay it until Spring.
Tho at one point there were certain times when it wasn't the best time to release movies but over the years there have been hits in the winter and end of summer.

BBMISwear said...

I'm happy to hear the LAOD review is not too spoilery - now I will read it! It's always so hard with publicity for Jake's movies - the desire to read, watch, listen to every little thing about an upcoming film but also wanting to be surprised once we are sitting in the theater. Oh the trials of being a Gyllenhaalic - LOL!

Thank you for your explanation regarding the Kansas City comments, Anon 15:12. I know what you mean about people's thoughts on the east coast and west coast of the USA and I think it has to do with the coasts typically being more metropolitan and offering more diversity in all things. It doesn't mean there is "nothing" in the middle of the country - just that there is usually "more" on the coasts - if that makes any sense?! As soon as I read your story about the seventeen year old I thought "inexperienced teenager"! They need to live and experience things before they can really understand the world around them (and it sounds like this one's visit to the midwest did just that)!

Here's hoping we all get advanced screenings of LAOD where we live (ha ha - we know that's not going to happen). I like your message to Mr. Zwick, WDW! Yes, Oxford should certainly be included in the LAOD screening tour! It's very exciting to have this Jake movie news starting to filter out with more to come I hope!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Lovely comment KC - I'm not keen on the anon bit so I'll call you KC! I know what you mean about the ignorance and how good it is for youngsters and all of us really to make an effort to get to know what life is like for others. So many times, when I've been in America for instance, people have spoken to me and given me messages for the Queen. I've had that about 4 times now. An American relative of mine thought that England was a part of France! Ahem... So yeah, it can be annoying. But it's interesting too to hear these stories.

And yes misconceptions about BBM - how it's driving me mad at the moment to hear comparisons being made between BBM and our coalition government leaders. (I'm impressed how I got those three words out without spitting blood.)

As for dates about SC... DJ says early 2011 and so I'm wondering if that will be February time but yes it's difficult to know these days when a good time is. But I suspect it'll be in the Spring.

Hey BBMISwear :-) I know visitors from the UK will primarily visit the coasts - but then we are islanders :D Get fidgity when I'm too far from the sea.

I think it's time we had an Oxford Film Festival - OIFF

I'm being extraordinarily lazy - please don't tell anyone!

Anonymous said...

Hey, i'll just put KC at the end of my comments. Thank you WDW for my "nickname" and say Hi to the Queen for me...ha.

I just think a lot of people have No Interest in anything outside their own little sphere and so they are so uninformed about anything outside that. Such a shame. There's so much history and interesting things out there in the world.

Oh, New York City (always been a fan). My small town (in the middle) has a company that makes windows and in their info. they show pictures of a number of buildings in the city of New York that have Our windows.

Back to Jake, wherever he may be today, folks have said they'd wish he'd have a Matt Damon type of role like Bourne. Tho it's not quite like Bourne do feel SC has a certain type of "action".
Probably if SC had been Duncan's first movie he would still be going on about it..as he was making his 2nd movie. Think too when this does come out he will be interviewed a lot more than he was for "Moon".
KC

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yeay! KC it is! Welcome :D I love it so much when people pick a name or when lurkers delurk and then I get to know them - very nice.

And yeah, I'll make a point of saying hello to the Queen for you next time I see her :D

I think Soure Code will be quite an experience for DJ when it comes out. Moon was so hard - he and Sam Rockwell had to fight for every kind of recognition and it's still only now being released in some countries. I think Duncan is a very special young director. I'm looking forward to watching his career grow over the years and I'm very proud Jake's such a part of it.

And KC, you have given me an idea for this evening's post! Thank you!

Vanessa said...

Love this interview, WDW! You really take care of us here, I had not found this one yet, so thank you!

Anonymous said...

just catching up on the backstory.... this is the first mention of rachel mcadams i have seen. is that common knowledge, or a new thing for him?

cheers.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Glad you liked it Vanessa!

Hi Anon! The Rachel thing comes from Jake presenting with her at the Oscars. It produced some rumpled for a while (possibly cos Jake introduced her to someone as the mother of his children!) But that's all it was. Funny though!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^Oops apologies for my iTouch's predicative text - that's 'rumours' not rumpled!

Anonymous said...

well, it rumpled me for a bit to read it ;)

cheers.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

:D