Friday 31 December 2010

MMX - A review of 2010, a fine GyllenYear Vintage

As 2010 draws to a close, it's time to look back at a momentous year. Never mind World Cups, new governments, royal engagements and the Ashes, 2010 gave us in the UK at least a grand total of three Jake Gyllenhaal movies, almost one per season. It's been a year to remember. For me, I'll always look back on it with a big smile because I came face to face with Jake twice. So time for a quick jaunt down memory lane.



January

January began with Jake's return to LA (with beard) and the beginnings of publicity for Prince of Persia, although there was some disappointment over a cancelled pingpong tournament in NYC. Vera Farmiga and Michelle Monaghan signed on for Source Code and we got the first good look at Lego Jake. Jake partied with Marion Cotillard and we had more interviews with Tobey Maguire and Jake. On 22 January, Brothers was at last released in the UK.


February

Damn Yankees got a director in February, Todd Graff, upping our expectation. As happens so many times, there was no more news after that. A highlight of February, though, was Maggie Gyllenhaal's Academy Award nomination for Crazy Heart, an experience that Jake shared wholeheartedly, at the cost of his reputation with pancakes. Towards the end of the month, Jake headed off to Montreal to begin filming Source Code.


March

On 7 March, the Oscars took place and we had our first look at Jake on a red carpet for quite some time. The featurettes started in earnest for Prince of Persia, including intervews in which Jake took questions from fans. PoP also got its song - Alanis Morisette's I Remain and, at the end of the month, Brothers was released on DVD.


April

The big highlight of April was without doubt WonderCon in San Francisco. We had our own reporter there who gave us a full account! Jake went on display alongside Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Newell and Jordan Mechner to present PoP to the world's gaming fans, leading to all sorts of admissions from Jake concerning his favourite games. Zelda, anyone? Jake also used the opportunity to raise interest in Source Code. Production on Source Code itself moved to Chicago. Jake also covered GQ in April and it included a revealing interview not to mention photos of Jake bringing Times Square to a standstill. A main theme of the month was, however, the mighty ostrich...


May

What can one possibly say about May? Prince of Persia arrived in a blaze of red carpets in London, Moscow and LA. Rather unusually, the London premiere took place in Westfield shopping centre, What this lost in atmosphere it gained in convenience and comfort and it was a pleasure to see Jake in person again, the first time since November 2007.

He had a big grin on his face - as can been in the superb picture by Ruby below. It stayed there through Moscow and LA. Gemma Arterton was a lovely sight at Jake's side throughout the month.


June

June was a month off for Jake and he seemed to spend much of it with Mumford and Sons and Adam Levine or doing Wing Chun Kung Fu. Jake also spent more time doing charity work, this time publicising the work of New Eyes for the Needy. More details emerged of Jake's killer fitness and diet regime for PoP alongside Jake's return to the Medical center.


July

Jake spent much of the summer in Martha's Vineyard, but he was linked to Stand Up to Cancer and appeared in adverts for the charity, not to mention SU2C hoodies and hats. We also got some of the first details and Love and Other Drugs and Source Code.


August

The two big highlights of August were the release of the Love and Other Drugs trailer and the first sighting of Jake on his Triumph Bonneville. This did indeed distract me from my pasties and moules in Cornwall. Towards the end of August, Jake and brother-in-law Peter Sarsgaard were seen in Colorado for the Leadville 100 foot race and rumours abounded about the possible filming of Bornn to Run. Since then, Peter appears to be more linked but it still remains foggy... A highlight for me was seeing a Q&A with Duncan Jones at the BFI in London.


September

We got the poster for Love and Other Drugs in September and it certainly caught everyone's attention. Meanwhile, we were all sightly distracted by Sasquatch Jake. The beard it did grow... and grow... On WDW we were a little concerned about the lack of news on future projects and so we conducted a poll and told Jake what's what. Jake spent much of the month in NYC and, at the end of it, amid the earliest screenings of LAOD, we got a report from BBMISwear of a screening with a Ed Zwick Q&A.


October

At the beginning of October we had an exclusive report from reader Xanne of Jake's appearance at the New Yorker Festival, including video and pictures. These captured the last moments of the Beard. Jake was seen doing more goodworks for the Edible Schoolyard before heading back to LA sans the Face Pet. Jake also covered Esquire in the UK.


November

Love and Other Drugs was released in the US over the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a full report from BBMISwear who was at the premiere in NYC. Also in November, Jake and Anne Hathaway visited London briefly and I was so fortunate to attend the press conference and screening, with many thanks to Bleeding Cool. The Source Code trailer arrived in November, causing a great deal of a stir. We also had a synopsis and the first pictures. In November, Jake stepped out with Taylor Swift and this also created just a little bit of a stir...


December

In December, the couple that we have grown very much attached to, for their humour and charisma and ease together, Jake and Anne Hathaway, moved on to sunny Sydney. The premiere on 6 December down under (a date once mooted for a London premiere) was an enormous success with Jake and Anne winning over audiences and media alike. They also took time to visit a children's hospital. Interest grew in Jake's approaching 30th birthday on 19 December and Jake revealed his plan to scare himself by diving with walruses and killer whales in the Arctic. He wouldn't do it alone - his family would be going too. It now seems that this may have been postponed. The year has ended with the release this week of Love and Other Drugs in the UK and with Jake and Anne's nominations for Golden Globes for their terrific performances.


So, on the last day of the year, I must thank you all for the birthday wishes and for keeping me company for another year on WDW! Thanks to that treat of the year, Prince of Persia, there have been many additions to the community in 2010 and that has been a pleasure to see whilst savouring some old and loved friendships. Every year brings us all something new in Gyllendom and 2011 will be no exception. Source Code is a certainty but you can bet there will be some unexpected delights thrown in the pot as well, plus who knows how many adventures. After what has been a truly fantastic year, here's to 2011!

Cheers to you, Jake and one and all! Happy New Year!


Many thanks for all the kind birthday wishes!

Includes pictures from IHJ and Ruby.

22 comments:

Alejandra said...

Ooh... I remember exactly when I was handed the link to visit WDW for the first time. Feb. 28th 2010... it's been a fantastic ride so far and I can't wait for what may be ahead. :-)

2010 was the happiest time I've had in ages. I found a universe and Jake was the sun which light and warmth reached my distant planet. I am forever grateful.

Happy Birthday, Kate. Hope you get your wishes come true. And thank you once again for this wonderful blog.

To every Gyllenhaalic here, Happy New Year!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh! Love that you can remember the date - that makes me feel so proud - thank you! You've made such a wonderful contribution to WDW this year so I'm so so glad you found Jake in 2010. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes - I've had a lovely day and a really nice evening on this post.

Happy New Year everyone!

Monica said...

A post almost perfect!
Great choice of photos!

Again, Happy Birthday!

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Monica! I had some fun picking the pictures. Happy New Year!

mermon said...

Oh, WDW! It's been a great year, especially since the end of May :)
Thank you very much for that Jake's life annual summary.
For me in 2010 it was two Jake's movies in the cinema theatre, both of them in May [Brothers and POP, of course] and all the others watched on the net or DVD. So I had a movie feast with my the most adorable actor.
What you have written about new people brought to your blog by Jake as Dastan in POP made me realise that probably you have experienced it before with the other Jake's movies. Do you remember which movie attracted the most new "members" to your blog since you run it. It would be interesting to know.
I wish to all of us many excitements over Jake's career and to Jake - many satisfaction in artistic life to our common joy and in private life to his own happiness. A lot of love for you, Jake!

It's been a real joy to go with you WDW, all of you ladies and you Paulh through my first movie promotion [LAOD]. And I'm looking forward to the next one - Source Code promotion. It will be quite soon!
New Year 2011 in 40 minutes in Poland.

Claire said...

Oh happy birthday WDW!!!

Thank you so much for brightening up 2010 for me - by showing me what I'd been missing through not seeing so many of Jake's films (now on my way to rectifying one film at a time...)

I've giggled at some of the posts and downright drooled at others, its been great and here's to a fantastic 2011!!!

Cheers everyone.XXX

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New year, Mermon! Not long for you now! a very quiet night for me here so nice to see everyone :)

It's interesting, your question. In the last four years PoP definitely brought more new fans here than any other film. We did go for a two year gap after Zodiac so there wasn't too much to catch people's attention. But, although I didn't do WDW for another year after it, Brokeback was the one that made many new Jake fans.

PoP has such wide appeal and Jake is stunning in it. But also the publicity for it was just perfect. But I like to think LAOD will win over some more. I think it has. Jake's not done a scifi thriller before so Source Code could get some more but PoP was just wonderful for that. I remember speculating before how it would win many new fans for Jake. It's great for the fandom!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much Claire! Posting at the same time :D I'm so glad you've enjoyed 2010 here! My resolution is to make you all laugh a lot in 2011 and do a fair bit of drooling. We do have to send Jake off to make more films for us too!

Great to hear you're watching the earlier movies :D

Fireworks going off out there!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Lots of sightings of Jake in NYC today, eating, jogging etc. I hope he and his family have a great night. Still some way to go there.

Hello to Australian and Kiwi readers already in 2011!

Get Real said...

Fantastic post for the Gyllen-year! :)

Happy new year everyone!!

BBMISwear said...

This post looks so damn FABULOUS but I can't read it thoroughly right now...I will be back later to do so...but in the meantime I would never miss this opportunity to stop by to say Happy Happy Happy Birthday Kate!!!! You have made so many of us here very happy Gyllenhaalics this year (and many before that) and if anyone deserves a happy birthday it is you! AND a happy 2011! I thank you for all the hard work you have done with this site, and for your friendship, and I can only hope that you continue with Wet Dark and Wild throughout 2011 AND BEYOND because, honestly, I don't know what I'd do without it! Seriously.

All the best to you and my fellow WDWers here - happy 2011 all!! I'll be back to indulge in what looks like a wonderful 'GyllenYear Vintage' Post (complete with a goblet full of red wine - cheers)!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year from 2011!

Happy New Year, Get you Real! I'm so glad you liked it :D

Thank you so so much BBMISwear! What a wonderful thing to say! Thank you! It's so lovely to hear the blog makes a difference. And it's going to be around for a long time :-) J hope you enjoy the post. And thank you for always being there xx

2011 looks great from here!

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everybody

Happy New Year!

Best wishes to WDW and all commentors.

Happy Jaking for 2011.

Cheers

Tui

Serene Hill said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!
And Happy Birthday WDW (sorry, I'm a lil' bit late), wish you all the best, all your dreams come true, and lots and lots of Jaking for this year to come. And thank you so much for bringing this world of Jake for us, hope this 2011 will be a greater year for WDW, both you and the blog.
2010, I've had so many ups and downs last year, and Jake has been my shiny sunshine on my gloomy days ever since I got to know him, so Thanks to you Jake for showing up in my world last year.
Oh... The post is wonderful, has me giggling and smiling all the way reading it, it's a really great sums up for 2010 of Jaking, I just got to join here regularly since August, what really introduced me to Gyllenhaalism was Brokeback Mountain, but POP sure did play a big deal introducing me to WDW.
So once again, Happy New Year friends, hope this new year will be another amazing Jake's year!!! Cheers...
Anyway, my first highlight for 2011 would be my screening for LAOD, wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

and happy birthday WDW.

2010 certainly was a busy year for Jake. Let's hope 2011 will be one too, that he has something up his sleeve that he will be filming. I look forward to SC

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DEAR FRIEND !!!

Your blog is one of my daily fixtures - I enjoy everything here, like a true gyllenhaalic !!

Thank you for all your efforts to bring us the latest news and pics !!

Ramona

karmentxu said...

First, Happy new year to everyone, Happy birthday WDW (late)

Thanks to PoP met a great actor, saw all your films in these months, too. A real joy have found this web, being here every day or almost, thank you WDW for your work, I hope to continue several years...

14 days to see LAOD!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year Tui!

Thanks so much, Serene Hill, and it's a pleasure! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Sweetpea!

Thank you so much, Ramona! Good to see you here and Happy New Year!

Two weeks to go, Karmentxu! Not long now! I'm very glad you found the place. Happy New Year to you too!

Morning everyone! Taking it slow after a very latenight. A good night. Jake's got a page in the Guardian today if any Brits are out buying papers. No new pics but a nice spread. I'll see what I can do with it here later.

Have a great New Year's Day! 1/1/11 :D

mermon said...

Hello everyone in New Year!
I spent this morning with my daughter and her friend watching Prince of Persia. He watched it for the first time and liked it :) For me it was I don't remember which time. Still love it. It doesn't age, I enjoyed each line from that movie. I repeat it again, great movie, don't understand how anyone couldn't like it.
Have a nice first day in New 2011 Year.

Ruby said...

Sneaking a quiet moment to wish everyone a very happy 2011. Here's to another great Jakin' year! :)

Just Fan said...

Happy New Year!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! I'm so glad you enjoyed watching PoP again - I don't tire of it wither :D

Happy New Year, Rubes!

Happy New Year, JF!