Sunday 26 December 2010

Peachy Jake Gyllenhaal on BBC Radio 4 on LAOD's attention span

At the risk of interfering with frenzied Boxing Day shopping for sofas, beds and fitness DVDs, I thought I'd do a quick post this evening so that we can catch up with Jake. On 23 December there were very enjoyable mentions around the social networking sites of Jake Gyllenhaal visiting a children's hospital in NYC for a couple of hours. At Rockstar Ronan there is a wonderful account of Jake's visit and a taste of what it meant to children and parents at such a time. Jake's excursion to the Sydney children's hospital earlier in the month clearly had quite an affect.


Back in Britain, with Love and Other Drugs opening on Wednesday, attention continues in the British media. On Christmas Eve, Jake appeared on the Film Programme on BBC Radio 4. In Britain, you can listen to the interview on the BBC iPlayer until 1 January. Interviewed by Francine Stock (who can now pronounce Jake's surname correctly), the main criticism directed at the film popped up for Jake to answer - its similarity to the ADD that Jake's character Jamie suffered as a child. How the film presents 'a little bit of this and a little bit of that'.


Jake: 'That's been the main criticism I believe of people who... there's an expectation for movies and I think there's an expectation particularly when you're watching something you think... When I think about my mind – it might be partially mine and Ed's fault because the way my mind works is not within one coherent structure and I don't just take myself seriously all the time or just have a crude sense of humour or just feel romantic. I have those within a span of 15 seconds sometimes and I think it's true to that and I think the power of this is the relationship between these two characters and I think that's pretty consistent and not very ADD like.'


Jake had some difficulty trying to describe the energy of Love and Other Drugs, requiring several false starts before 'When I first read the script, I remember getting fifteen pages into the script and realising somewhere, maybe cosmically or something, that Ed had written this film for me and he didn't know it. And that has rarely happened in my career. I mean a few times but this was a pretty special one. It's kind of inexplicable to be honest, which is why I'm having such a hard time... but I know it has energy as I felt it and I felt it everyday and every day when I came to work and I never had a day that I was tired.'


Working with Anne Hathaway again, after a film such as Brokeback Mountain, was very special indeed. 'We only worked 8 days on Brokeback Mountain together but something about that movie, the idea of that movie, the bond we created when it came out, what it's become, sort of ties us all together for ever. And I think we feel safe with each other because we've told a story which, I think, was dangerous and embraced... As a result of that, we're close. So when it came time to make this movie, when it asked us to be intimate and when it asked us to share things that we would normally, I think, a little bit even more hesitant about sharing with someone we didn't know, we kind of just embraced it. Because we had been through something that only a select group of people understood within this circle of Brokeback Mountain.'


Back to Love and Other Drugs: 'I don't think what I'm saying is that it's dangerous or groundbreaking but what I am saying I think it's refreshing because I don't think you've seen movies, particularly in this genre, deal with sex in a way that is actually dealing with intimacy. Some romantic comedies or comedies that are emotional or whatever, to see an actress – to see an actor – but to see an actress with sheets covering up her top and not really seeing these two people actually be intimate physically with each other. The physical intimacy between a couple is like half the relationship in my opinion and also an important aspect. I've rarely ever seen people have sex with boxers on but I see that in romantic comedies all the time. They getting out of bed with like boxers on. It doesn't make any sense! The wonderful part about falling in love is the time spent naked! The times spent intimate like that. We should see them sharing their bodies with each other and that means ultimately sharing their bodies with the audience too in this story.'


Anne Hathaway is interviewed in today's Observer and she has something to say about the relentless focus on the film's nudity, comparing the subject to being repeatedly asked if she had ever dreamed of being a princess: 'The question that I dreaded answering in interviews was 'Did you always dream of being a princess?' I felt like saying 'No, I dreamt of being an actress! That was a role I played!' It was frustrating because, like constantly being asked about the nudity in Love and Other Drugs, it kept the conversation at the surface'. Here, Anne talks about how Love and Other Drugs has a message without being preachy - such as showing the long journeys that the poor, sick and elderly have to undergo in order to fill their prescriptions.


Normal service is resumed in the Mirror: 'The pair strip for a scene in their latest flick Love And Other Drugs and they can't stop talking about each other's bodies. Jake revealed: "It was a very tough role - so many others before me turned this role down because it meant getting naked with Anne Hathaway and no one wanted to do it. It's not an easy job, I felt bad for her so I agreed to do it. I took one for the team. She has a great ass!" Anne pitched in: "Not as peachy as Jake's." And it sounds like Anne's a bit jealous of Jake's effortlessly hot looks. She says: "Jake has this annoying habit of always looking healthy and really great."

Jake's next appearance on the radio is on tomorrow's Edith Bowman Show on Radio 1 from 10am.


And finally...

The Big British Freeze continues, with temperatures so low that many houses have been transformed into giant icicle holders, looking almost as if they are enormous candelbras with transparent wax dripping from roofs, windowsills, ivy and wisteria. On today's journey from the frozen north to the even more frozen south, we took the time to feed some rather despondent ducks. In return, they posed.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everybody

Brr that does look cold WDW, waterways all iced up.

I got caught out - the LAOD trailer came on TV. And it is quite different from the trailers we have seen online. One frame included a shirtless Jake,maybe they are trying to sell the nudity. And I heard LAOD plugged on the radio. Only a few more days and the movie is out here.

Cheers

Tui

Anonymous said...

happy Boxers day. We don't celebrate here in the states.

Thanks for the interviews.

It is snowing, we might get about an inch or two. It is worst further east and north of here.

stay warm and safe people

sweetpea

Monica said...

Hello, wet dark. I love reading these stories about Jake visiting hospitals. Only confirms that he is really a great person....

Alejandra said...

Now I'm not ashamed to admit I didn't have the best Christmas this year. This story about Jake visiting a Children's hospital is a gift to me. One I didn't know I'd appreciate so much.

You're my Santa, WDW. Thank you for all your wonderful findings. :-)

Darling Bluebell said...

"I've rarely ever seen people have sex with boxers on but I see that in romantic comedies all the time."
That made me laugh. :) And I wonder which are the other films he's referring to when he said that there have been other roles he felt had been written for him.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! I hope you're all having a good day.

Hi Tui! That sounds great! There's still been bit much here (except for this radio). I saw a full page ad in the Observer. I'm hoping to get to the pictures tomorrow so I'll look out for posters.

Hi Sweetpea - hope you don't get too much snow. I am very tired of snow. Boxing Day is a great day for recovery although for me it's always a travelling day. But always an extra day off.

It's a lovely story, Monica :)

I'm really sorry to hear that, Alejandra. I'm glad I gave you some cheer with Jake. Take care x

Hey Lady Ekster! I was wondering which people he was referring to! Very funny. And Jaje's brain sounds like a fun place to be :D

Alejandra said...

Oh don't worry about me, Kate. I'm fine. Just stressed. But like I said, this story made it all better.

It's so good to know that Jake will take the time to visit people who are having a hard time. Not just children, but their families too. He is definitely my hero. So proud of him.

I would think Donnie was written for him. And Jimmy Livingston. And Hal. And Jack. And Dastan maybe. Jake has said he chooses roles because of the stories and not the characters. But it's the characters that make the stories: the way they think, the way they feel, the way they act, the way they live... I hope more great stories will be written in the future that inspire Jake so vividly. The ones we've seen so far are all great.

mermon said...

That hospital story is very moving. He certainly has a heart of gold. Doing this during his own holidays. I bet he has a lot of warm feelings in himself. Giving good makes you feel good and gives you a readiness to give even more. Good, giving away, comes back. And that's great thing about it.

"I've rarely ever seen people have sex with boxers...The wonderful part about falling in love is the time spent naked!" I agree with Jake, but only partially. I can see, that he's absolutely comfortable with his body, accepting it and not ashamed of it, absolutely. So he may be naked as much as he wants. And I agree, he should be naked as much as possible.
But there is a lot of people not so comfortable with their body and when they get up, they prefer to cover themself, especially at the beginning of their relationship. Just because they don't feel so perfect or pretty, even if they are. This feeling comes from inside. Doesn't matter if you are pretty or not. So Jake, lucky you!
And lucky us! That way we can appreciate your beauty:)

About the role written for him I think like Alejandra, that maybe he thought about Donnie Darko and Dastan. And now Jamie. I would point out only those three movies.

Good night! Tomorrow time to go back to work! ... sigh.

mermon said...

I'm not sure. Did we had that interview?
Jake Gyllenhaal on turning 30

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

How many boxers are in the UK anyhoo?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Alejandra :D I can't help it, I'm afraid. That's such a great comment, about the characters that make the roles. I think it's a mix of two things - the characters and the directors.

Morning Mermon! I think it certainly helps to feel comfortable in your skin and being without clothes if you look like Jake. It certainly must come a lot more naturally to movie stars who are, after all, to some extent or other, performers and exhibitionists. But Jake wears it well :) And thanks for the link.

Have a good day everyone - I had a great start to mine, digging out our van... again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Gyllenhaalisgr8! Missed your comment. Rather a lot, we are English after all ;-)

Get Real said...

Greetings from the snowpocalypse! Hope everyone had a great holiday. :)

It is a mess out there and I hope all those affected here and across the pond stay safe. As others said, it is a travel nightmare.

I am in Long Island and we got hit hard but thankfully we don't have to go anywhere today so we will be digging out.

Keep the LAOD stuff coming! Always great to have new Gyllen-news. I hope he is having a wonderful holiday too. :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Get Real! This bloody weather - I am so so tired of winter and snow and ice! I hope the worst passes as soon as possible for you over there on the NE coast. Maybe we should all head for Hawaii :D If the planes take off of course... I feel like I may never drive without a shovel in the back of the car again!

I hope Jake's having a lovely time too - I'm sure he's having a snowy time with Ramona and the others right now :D It was the wrong type of snow here for snowmen, I hope it's a better type of snow over there :F

Serene Hill said...

Merry Christmas everyone, I know it's a little bit late, have been kinda busy last weekend.
I love the article bout Jake visiting children hospital, and talking with the kids and their famz, such nice and sweet guy, love him more and more!
I really need to know WDW, if the IMDb movie release date has always been accurate? cause I couldn't find LAOD anywhere on the Singapore coming soon movies list. I'm really anxious now.
And you know WDW, despite everything you've said bout the snow there, I always found the pics of freezing snow and ice that you posted previously as beautiful and captivating, I would love to have it here, for, you know, we never got it here...
Thanks for the posts WDW!!!

shoe89 said...

hey side note jake's friend natalie portman is preggs and engaged.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20453228,00.html

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Serene Hill! Snow must look so beautiful when you're in a country that doesn't get it - I forget that :) I don't mind snow this week as I don't have to go anywhere (except to see LAOD on Wednesday and my birthday...).

I'm sorry to hear athat the date may have shifted for you. It's such a nuisance - IMDb dates aren't particularly accurate unfortunately. I hope you hear of a more certain date soon. Although at this rate, the DVD will be out (possibly April).

I was delighted to hear that, Shoe! Good news :)

shoe89 said...

totally its exciting to see if jake will be a part of the babies life in anyway.

paulh said...

"I hope the worst passes as soon as possible for you over there on the NE coast."

The worst has passed, and we're almost back to normal. You may have to get used to cold winters from here on in, WDW. Sorry! Scientists measuring the Gulf Stream say it's weakened by 30% in the last 12 years, so it isn't bringing as much warm water to the shores of the U.K. The Eastern coast of the U.S. is also affected, with the ocean two feet higher. The Gulf Stream would otherwise have been bringing that extra water toward Europe.

I'm in a "Day After Tomorrow" mood, particularly that scene where Ian Holme is in the weather station contmeplation the killer cold wave coming at him.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Fortunately it's a lot warmer here today - up to 10 degrees C! Twenty degrees higher than the other day. I'm glad the worst is over for you.

It would be so good to see TDAT again, it's been a while. It's a running joke with Mr WDW that I've never seen it :)

paulh said...

Glad it's warmed up for you, WDW. It's warming up here, too. The sun is shining brightly in my face as I type.

TDAT has been laughed at for straying so far from what seems scientifically plausible, and yet there are parts of it (the Gulf Stream cooling, for instance) that seem to be happening. If Europe is in for decades of colder winters, it may be hard to persuade the Europeans that this is caused by global *warming.* My personal theory is that the "Gaia hypothesis" is being tested by all of this. The Earth as one lifeform that regulates its own internal temperatures is the basic concept. The atmosphere gets warmer, so what does Gaia do? She closes down the ocean's convection currents, cooling the northern latitudes. Maybe jake can do a movie where he's a scientist explaining all this. :-)

world cup said...

This is great video.I like this movie.