Monday 30 April 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal back with an English accent for the stage and 'a bit of hoopla' expected at the stage door


We've had a little bit of an update on Jake Gyllenhaal's Off Broadway debut this Autumn. It turns out that Jake is quite a fan of young British playwright Nick Payne who penned If There Is I haven't Found It Yet. After having seen Nick's last play at the Royal Court in London back in February - presumably when the photo below was taken - it sounds like Jake was keen to sign on - even though he doesn't know what an Asda is (your loss, Jake). Other points to note are that Jake will be back in his English accent! Will he be going Estuary, that is the question.  And hoopla at the stage door is expected. Surely not... The report below is from The Indie.


'Gyllenhaal will play Terry, a foul-mouthed drifter who strikes up an odd friendship with his obese teenage niece. "He likes the humour and anger of the character and the tone of the play," says Payne. The actor was sent the script and liked it so much he came to see Payne's last play, Constellations, at the Royal Court in February. After a reading of If There Is... with Roundabout Theatre in New York, he signed on for a full run, opening in August. Gyllenhaal will adopt an English accent for the role but will Payne tailor his script for American audiences? "No. Although at the read-through I asked, 'does everyone know what Asda is?' and they said, 'not really.'" Is he ready for Jake's starstruck fans at the stage-door? "I'm sure there will be a bit of hoopla but I'm quite happy to stay anonymous." Not for too much longer, I'd guess.'

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

News news news...so this debut on american stage is becoming more and more real!!!I'm so happy! Thanks a lot Kate, I have no more words for your job!
Kisses and a happy 1st of May to everyone!
Carlotta

Cazajuguetes said...

Great news. Thanks WDW.
I would camp outside the theater if I could. LOL.
Yes, happy 1st of may, a holiday here too.

mermon said...

May1 - a holiday as well!
So great Jake will perform with English accent! I love when he does that. Too bad I won't be able to hear. :(
Jake became double uncle! April 19th! Maggie&Peter have Gloria Ray. Congrats!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Carlotta! Same to you :)

Hi Eureka! 1 May is a festival here but we get next Monday off (although not me sadly :() My pleasure!

Thanks Mermon!

My review of The Avengers is now on MovieBrit

Darling Bluebell said...

I'd LOVE to hear Jake in an English accent again. Good news!
Even better news is of course the birth of Gloria Ray. Congrats to the Gyllenhaal family! How wonderful they managed to keep it secret for those first intense days. I hope they will be left in peace to enjoy their daughter's first weeks.

Susan said...

OMG! Asda is the UK's version of WalMart... Not sure how well known either of those might be among the Broadway set, but it sounds quite funny at this point. If Jake liked the play when he read it, that's good enough for me.

I volunteer to lead the hoopla at the stage door - as soon as I figure out how to get there. :)

Congrats to Maggie and Peter, and Uncle Jake too on the birth of Ramona's little sister.

BBMISwear said...

Great update WDW - thanks! So good to hear the news about Gloria Ray (I'm happy for them that they were able to keep it quiet for as long as they did).

I love hearing more about the play...only little bits here and there so far but just wait until summer...wham!

:-)

mermon said...

Never heard about Asda before. One more lesson thx to Jake via Kate&Susan!
"I volunteer to lead the hoopla at the stage door - as soon as I figure out how to get there. :)" - LOL! Still few months to go to make some subtle plan!I see you there, absolutely.

Anonymous said...

I hope the references in the play like Asda, aren't too obscure for American audiences. It would be unfortunate for Jake if people don't understand the humorous bits.

Cazajuguetes said...

Actually, I know what ASDA is by chance. Roy Grace a Detective from Peter James novels often visited the supermarket for snacks. LOL
Yes, Susan, bring on the camping tent. ;o)

paulh said...

Foul-mouthed drifter? That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Tonight I saw "Five-year engagement." There's one Jake link: David Paymer, who was in "City Slickers" with Jake.

paulh said...

Foul-mouthed drifter? That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Tonight I saw "Five-year engagement." There's one Jake link: David Paymer, who was in "City Slickers" with Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Sorry for absence yesterday - totally snowed under at work and then out MayDaying :)

Good to see you all!

I think, 4:14, that it would sound very odd in a British play, with Jake doing an English accent, if he were to say Walmart and not Asda. I'm sure audiences will come. If the UK and Europe we manage with American plays and films ok.

Morning Eureka, Susan and Mermon!

Hi BBMISwear :-) It is good news! An unusual name.

ooh, camping trip sounds good, Eureka :D

Good to see you, Paul! I haven't heard of that film. Will look it up.

Have a good day everyone :)