Monday 28 September 2009

[Update] Jake watches the Pirates... Jake Gyllenhaal tells kids to read (very loudly indeed) and Jake's a hit in the 'burgh

[Update] It's good to learn that the sports fans of the US are keeping up the good work and doing their bit for us by spotting Jake in the crowd. Last Saturday, Jake (and Ed Zwick) watched the Pittsburgh Pirates take on the Dodgers and (not for the first time this season) lose. But who needs a sports victory when you have the chance to hear Jake Gyllenhaal philosphise in person?


'Sitting directly behind us was actor Jake Gyllenhaal of ”Brokeback Mountain” fame, along with some other Hollywood types, including director Edward Zwick... I am not a starfucker by any stretch of the imagination, but it was hard not to eavesdrop on some of the dialogue unfolding behind us. At one point, one of the guys in Gyllenhall’s entourage noted that the Pirates have the least errors of any team in the National League but are still mired in last place. “That’s just like life,” Gyllenhall replied. “If you aren’t willing to make mistakes, you’re never going to get anywhere.” I can’t quit you, Jake!' On hearing that, who could? More here.

On with the post... With apologies to everyone who had a heavy night last night, here is Jake Gyllenhaal yelling very loudly indeed.



The Electric Company is part of a new campaign to get kids reading and, possibly as part of Jake's new association with Sesame Street and the Electric Co, Jake's one of the shouting stars. So, less time on the net, more time reading books - that's just for kids, right Jake? Thanks to BBMISwear for the headsup!


Jake Gyllenhaal is winning over the 'Burgh!

Not that I had any doubts but it's good to get it in writing. 'He's been out and about, so much so that it seems as if everyone -- or their friend -- has spotted the Hollywood star...' And he's a hit.


'From a Peruvian restaurant in Shadyside to a Downtown bar, with Whole Foods in between, Mr. Gyllenhaal isn't shy about sampling life in the 'Burgh. Filming continues in the coming weeks, with one of Mr. Gyllenhaal's "Brokeback" co-stars, Anne Hathaway, due to arrive early next month. After Miss Hilko and her friend, Rachel Moynihan, finished their late breakfast, she couldn't resist asking the hunky actor to pose for a photo: "I grabbed his arm but not like a stalker ... he was, like, 'Sure.''


'Seems Mr. Braunstein was the barista when Mr. Gyllenhaal and two young women entered the cozy restaurant. "He was dressed like a normal guy: T-shirt, jeans, boots," Ms. Siebert said, noting the actor made no attempt at the dark-glasses-and-hat disguise routine.' No hat? Excellent.


Peter and the holidays

Thanks again to BBMISwear for sending along and scanning this Peter article from Parade. In it, Peter talks about his family dividing the religious holiday between his side of the family - for Easter - and Maggie's - for Yom Kippur and Hanukkah. I wish them and everyone else who celebrates a Happy Holiday!


Includes pictures from IHJ and Parade. Many thanks to BBMISwear.

21 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! A day off :) I'm going to see Away We Go at long last. Have a good day!

TD said...

Dear WDW, I just spent a lovely lunchtime watching the Clangers. Thank you so much.TD.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like goofy face Jake to start a Monday morning on the right foot. Thank you so much for that clip. :D

And I'm not surprised he's winning over a whole town, he could charm the pants off anybody.

Have a good day everyone!

Olympia

Anonymous said...

Great post. Had no idea PEter was from the South, Mississippi of all places, and that he was a Catholic. He gets more interesting all the time.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh, TD! So glad to hear you had a Clangers lunch - I had such a good time watching that video :D

Hi Olympia! I really enjoyed the clip too - we need more Jake! He really is goofy, no wonder Pittsburgh is loving him :)

Thanks Anon :D Peter is fascinating. I've enjoyed reading before about his religious and military background (I believe his dad was in the forces). He's complex. No wonder he's such an interesting actor to watch and follow.

I hope everyone's having a good day. I'm just back from seeing Away We Go. Without doubt this is my favourite of Maggie's performances to date. She was sensational and she had the theatre crying with laughter!

Monica said...

Not just to read to children, but some adults also need to read. It's amazing how many adults do not read books.
But it's necessary to interpret what is in context.

I need some information about Brothers. New trailer, photos, interviews ...

Have a great day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! It's a great cause and one I particularly like to see Jake involved in because I work in education and books. Of course, Jake doesn't leave me any time to read the things but you can't have everything...

We are SO DUE info on Brothers!!! I hope when it comes out that people actually notice and go and see it :/

Monica said...

I work in education and books.
Last year I did a work on reading in a school. I worked with children. Was gratifying.

Monica said...

I don't like when some sites compared Brothers with Pearl Harbor. They are completely different.

Anonymous said...

oh I just loved the Electric Company PSA. yeah that would sure get me to read (if I wasn't already an avid reader)

thanks WDW. oh to be in Pittsburgh now

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica :) That sounds very rewarding. I used to work teaching small children to read. I found that really difficult but I still remember some of the kids quite a few years on.

I hate that too - I can see no comparison between Pear Harbor the movie and Brothers, not least because PH is a bad film. There are elements of it I like but as a whole I have no time for it. That was all about scale and was in your face - Brothers will work on a far more human and real level.

I hope that soon we get some promotion (surely it can't be far off now!) and it'll be interesting to see how they pitch it because - one would have thought - they do want people to buy tickets. Only two months to go.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea - posting at the same time :D Jake and books is a great combination. I was interested in Interview mag with Natalie that Jake said he'd been reading the new book about Barack Obama - Renegade. I'm a big fan of auto/biographies, I like to think of Jake reading them too :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely article about Peter and Maggie - so interesting. It's great that Jake takes such an interest in literacy, and the environment too. I loved the Electric Company spot, and can't wait for to see him on Sesame Street. Nice to hear all the sightings of him in Pittsburgh.

I like bios too - right now we're reading Ted Kennedy's; I'd love to read President Obama's too.

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi bertie! It's all so good to hear. I did enjoy the Parade article and I love Jake's goofy cameo in the video :D

I just updated the post with news of Jake at a baseball game on Saturday. It's a great sighting! Thanks BBMISwear, my guru on all things sporty :DD

get real said...

Such great sightings!! Glad he is out and about in Pittsburgh. And his comment at the Pirates game is certainly true. :D

And how adorable is Jake in the Electric Company psa. :)

Always nice to have Peter and Maggie interviews. Have to go to the Parade site to read this one!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Get Real! I love this Pirates game sighting :) Good to see you!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! A beautiful day but I'm ready to spoil it by heading off to the gym... I hope everybody, including Jake, has a good day :)

Gyllenhaalics said...

. “That’s just like life,” Gyllenhall replied. “If you aren’t willing to make mistakes, you’re never going to get anywhere.”

An intelligent man.

Any chance you come to Ireland to see the premiere of Brothers?
Jim Sheridan is in talks for a premiere in Dublin!

Monica said...

^^It's me!

Have a great day, wet dark!

BTW: said...

I loved the Electric Company as a child. Did you know that Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno (Oscar winner for West Side Story)were regulars on the EC? It was part of Children's Television Workshop, and one of it's creators/writers was Naomi Foner who also was involved with the creation of Sesame Street.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Monica! It's such a great line - I loved it. And I like your pic! If Jake's going to Ireland, just try and stop me! Jake in one of my very favourite places, perfect!

Hi BTW! Thanks for the info about Morgan Freeman - love him :) We have Sesame Street here but I can't remember ever seeing the Electric Co in the UK when I was small. I love Naomi's involvement with it and with Sesame Street - I did a post on it a while back when Jake was named as being included in the new series :D