Saturday 26 September 2009

A Tale of Three Films - video of Jake Gyllenhaal on the LAOD set, Moon SFX and a Persian Palace

Yesterday, we had the first photo of Jake Gyllenhaal on the Pittsburgh set of Love and Other Drugs thanks to Talituna and now she's done it again! But this time it's even better - a video of Jake arriving on set and (I might be wrong but it looks like it) taking photos himself of those gathered to take photos of him. Thank you Talituna! Keep it up!



Film no.2 - The Unnamed Moon Project may not have a name yet but, thanks to Doug Liman frequently confiding in the Ninjas, we're in the privileged position of watching a movie take shape. In order to get funding, Doug has to give the studios a realistic estimate of its budget, not least because he has been known to go over. Doug admits this with disarming honesty and it's clearly something he wants to avoid with Moon even though, to be fair, the films Doug mentions have all been big successes. The difficulty with Moon is, appropriately, the Moon.


A film like this would fall at the first hurdle if the moon looked like a lump of gouda. Much as I cherish the Clangers, I don't want to see Spandexed Spaceman Jake having a heated argument with an Iron Chicken or taking some time out from colonisation to make soup with a dragon or constructing dens out of saucepan lids. For the benefit of those outside the UK who did not grow up with the Clangers, I've done some research:



Therefore, Doug Liman has been pricing each special effect and it's very exciting to be privy to the process. 'We’re actively doing what’s called the “Effects Breakdown” for my untitled Moon film in order to budget the movie, given how effects-intensive it is. Kevin Elam and I go through the script and come up with every single effects shot we anticipate might be in the film. Obviously, it’s a guess right now because we’re so far out from shooting the film, but you read a line in the script and you think: How many shots am I going to need to make that idea work onscreen? Then you come up with this list of probably 1,200 shots. That list then goes to someplace like ILM (the mother of effects houses) and they bid, and that probably takes a couple of weeks. This is one page of the list that we put together. We’ve blacked out the numbers, but it’ll give you an idea of what we’re working on: Visual Effects Breakdown.'


'As I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, I don’t think anyone’s ever done the Moon to the level of realism that I’m going for, so all of this bidding is really so that the studio and I can agree on a budget number for the movie. We almost certainly will not spend the money in precisely the way we’re currently talking about it, since we need a certain amount of creative exploration to figure out how we’re going to get what we want. But to even have a conversation as to how much this movie might cost, we need a starting place.' You can read more with the Ninjas.


And finally, film no. 3 - Prince of Persia the movie is being accompanied by a bonanza of goodies, including a new graphic novel based on the film. One of the artists, Cameron Stewart, has today released a snippet. Again, as with Love and Other Drugs and Moon, we are being allowed to see the process. It's a good feeling.

Pictures, with thanks, from links.

26 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I hope everybody's had a good Saturday - a very relaxing day for me (for a change). I'm so enjoying watching Jake back at work!

winterbird said...

Envy of the Pittsburgh residents!

I have to say Jake looks like he's glad to be back at work too. It certainly beats just going around shops, eating yoghurts... :P

Good luck to Doug Liman getting the finance for UMP, any movie that's not a franchise is experiencing difficulties, which is quite sad. And a convincing moon needs money to make! :)

Monica said...

He's so adorable.
I remember when two girls of my forum met him in NY. They said he was happy to know he have fans in Brazil.

I'm part of a group of film lovers and it is gratifying to see how the work of Jake is respected.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :D Jake definitely looks like he's glad to be back at work - just look at that expression on his face :) Yes, the Moon needs some money, I think Doug is the perfect director to win it - I'm really enjoying Doug's posts.

Hey Monica! That's wonderful! I do think that Jake loves to hear about his fans around the world - it's good as I think his fans are special. Nothing matters more to me as a Jake fan than his films and it's so good to see all this going one! Films on the way, films about to be released. It's a good time :)

Monica said...

The only movie of Jake I saw on the big screen is Brokeback Mountain. Zodiac and Rendition did not pass the cinemas of my city.

You can imagine how I feel?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm sure you'll get PoP and I hope Brothers too, Monica :) It's been such a long time since we saw Brokeback in the theatres - you'll be so ready to see these new films - I do see how you feel :) Not long now. I feel like I've been counting down to Brothers and PoP for such an endless time!

Monica said...

I saw the poster of POP in Brazil.
POP Brazil

The best:
POP Brazil 2

Monica said...

Click on the pictures that they will be full size.

Anonymous said...

cool WDW. It's nice to see him arriving. I wonder when Anne will join him?

And I think it's great we can watch the creative process of a movie come to shape with Doug Liman. It is educational

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

Whoa! That video is SWEET! Jake has a very accessible, very sexy aura about him, lately.

If I lived nearer I wouldn't be ashamed to be out there squealing!

Liman is certainly educating us on the process. It's fascinating.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful sunny warm day here :)

Those posters are amazing, Monica! I was a little bit completely distracted by Jake's chest in the wet one...

Hi Sweetpea :) It's very enjoyable watching it all come together.

Hey there ANon! You and me both! It's so great seeing Jake out there interacting with fans and, yes, giving off a very accessible and sexy aura. I like it very much :) I do agree about Doug. I'm grateful to him that he's involving us all in the process.

Have a good day everyone!

get real said...

Jake is looking wonderful in the pics and video. :) As Winterbird said, he looks happy and not to mention very sexy. :p Can't wait to see pics of him and Anne.

Thanks for the Moon and PoP info too.

WDW, I am so sorry to hear about your Mum's accident. Hope she is feeling better. *Hugs to you and your Mum*

And sorry to hear about the job. Hope you go on to bigger and better career things. :)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Something about the way he walks and carries himself in that video is very sexy - he's got a great body. That sweater drives me insane. (I admit it's a short drive tho.) He looks great, happy and attractive.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Get Real! Fortunately, the job move is my own choice so hopefully it'll work out ok - first day on Thursday - ooer... I hope you're having a good weekend too :D

Hi Anon :) Oh yes about the body!! I love the way Jake walks too - very sexy indeed. Chuckling at the 'short drive' :D

Anonymous said...

That's a great video! I hope Talituna knows how happy she's making gyllenhaalics everywhere by sharing this. Thank you Talituna! And WDW for telling us about it, of course. He really does look very relaxed and very, very, sexy. It's so good to see him like that. :)

It's fascinating to read about the developpement of the moon project, I'm learning so much stuff. I know next to nothing about how a movie gets made and before BBM, I really didn't care. But falling in love with that movie and Jake has lead me to so much interesting things and people I've been learning about in the last 3 years. I'm very grateful.

Hope everyone's having a great Sunday!

Olympia

BBMISwear said...

WOW!!! So much to see and hear and read about Jake these days...it's all exactly what we've been waiting for isn't it?! Whooowheee to that!!

So much has been said here and elsewhere that I feel the same about so I'll just quote people instead...LOL!

You said it all right here WDW: "Films on the way, films about to be released. It's a good time" Yes it is!!!

And I can only say thank you, thank you, thank you to Doug Liman for his wonderful detailed info re: the Moon Project and Talituna for all she is sharing with us from Pittsburgh! I love when people share their personal experiences with Jake...hee hee! :-)

I have to say what Talituna says here is exactly what I thought when I met him too (among other things): "He was such a cool guy, i even got some pictures with him!!!!!!!!!! BEST MUSCLES EVER!!!!!!!" Oh yes, those muscles...they were impossible NOT to notice, touch, want to touch again, think about later and later still. *heavy sigh*

Okay I got off track a bit. But seeing Jake on movie sets is always one of the most exciting things to me and boy oh boy did Winterbird make me laugh with this: "It certainly beats just going around shops, eating yoghurts..." I agree 150% with this!!

Good days, good days.

Happy weekend and Happy Time Off for WDW (which may mean more posts for us...ha ha)!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! Like you, I never had more than a passing interest in how movies were made before Jake, but now it fascinates me and I have much more respect for filmmakers now and for the whole process. I'm grateful too. And we are so lucky to have Talituna!

Hey BBMISwear :-) I was thinking about you when I saw this video - Jake on a movieset reminds me of you! Oh and the muscles, love those muscles. Jake is looking great, understatement I realise...

I hope everyone's having a good Sunday! Catching up on chores for me so I'm glad I have tomorrow off :)

Uli said...

Why would it be a problem if the moon looked like a lump of gouda???
It's made of cheese after all!! Just ask Wallace!

Thanks for the Clangers clip! I've never heard of them! Phooooop Phoooouuuouuup Phooouuuouuuouuuuueeeeep! :D :D :D

It's really interesting to get some insight into what it takes for an idea to become a movie! I hope Doug Liman will continue to let us get some glimpses of the process. And you will continue to post it here! :)

Damn, Jake looks so good these days, reminds me somehow of "the early days"... :) I wonder what was up with him presumably taking a photo of the fans gathering there... :D

I hope everybody has a good start into the new week! :)

Zodiac said...

Hello everyone! It's been a long time:)

I see Jake is busy with his work. Good. I'm busy too. I hope to come here more often.

Hi WDW *waves* :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Uli! Glad you enjoyed the Vlangers - I love them :D Very hot and sexy - that's Jake, not the Clangers...

Zodiac! Great to see you, my friend. I'm really pleased to hear you'll be around more. Hope everything's going well.

Anna said...

OMG, Monica! I'm at work, trying to keep down my mowning. Those posters were... gngngnk!!!

(Sorry. Can't speak. Need to lie down.)

Anna said...

...see what you did to me? I even lost my ability to spell. That was supposed to be "moaning"... :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anna! Those posters are incredible - I thought they made you want to mow the lawn again... I thought that was sweet :D

Anna said...

Oh, yes of course. Lawnmowing is the first thing that comes to mind when Jake takes his clothes off. For sure...

;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

You too?! That's so weird - I thought it was just me he had that effect on...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^of course, I don't have a lawn, but if I did I'd be out there mowing it every time Jake takes his clothes off.