Friday 16 September 2011

Source Code, the TV Series, and Maggie Gyllenhaal at TIFF

When Jake Gyllenhaal read the script of Source Code and immediately knew he wanted to do it, getting Duncan Jones on board to develop and direct the project, Jake showed he can spot a good thing. So much so,  Source Code producer Mark Gibson has now sold a TV version to CBS. All credit is due to writer Ben Ripley, Duncan and Jake for putting something together that caught an awful lot of imaginations and has spurred a whole TV series of potential sci fi scenarios. The Hollywood Reporter revealed last night:
"Like the film on which it is based, the action/procedural follows three former federal agents who are part of a top-secret program. Each week, they'll use "Source Code" technology to jump into the consciousness of people involved in tragic events. 
Gordon (Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds) will produce the project, with Vendome Pictures' Philippe Rousselet serving as a consulting producer. Steve Maeda (Lie to Me, Lost) is on board to write."

Duncan and Jake may have given Source Code the lift off it needed to sell it to the small screen but that appears to be the end of their involvement with it.

My initial reaction to the news was that the premise of Source Code worked very well in a tightly structured and intelligent film but I couldn't see how it could retain its originality and interest over a full series. Especially without seeming to be a remake of the wonderful Quantum Leap, to which the film played homage with its inclusion of Scott Bakula. I'd be interested to know what you think!


Maggie at TIFF

Last night, the gala for Hysteria took place at the Toronto International Film Festival and Maggie Gyllenhaal looked absolutely stunning and happy in a long white lace gown with sandals. You can see video of the event here.

The interview below was also recorded yesterday.

The more I hear about this film, the more I am desperate to see it!






Photos from IHJ and Toronto Life.

16 comments:

mermon said...

I watched only one movie with Maggie Gyllenhaal - Donnie Darko. I really want to see Hysteria. Watching an interview with Maggie, not for the first time, I find her extremely likeable. I may easily imagine her with Jake. How nice they has to be together.

I hope that Duncan and Jake have nothing against that SC series. I would like to hear their comment about that.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! I don't like all of Maggie's films but Hysteria looks just great. I thoroughly enjoyed Nanny McPhee too.

I'm with you on wanting to hear Duncan and Jake talk about the series. Be very interesting.

mermon said...

From Duncan's twitter:

@ManMadeMoon Duncan Jones
For those asking, I know not a sausage about the Source Code TV show. First time I heard about it was about 20 minutes ago... on twitter!
20 hours ago via web

Wishing the Source Code TV show the best of Irish. Im gonna keep on trucking with film number 3. ;)
20 hours ago via web

@FouLePierrot Seriously mate. Its all good. I wish them the best. SC was a great opportunity for me & now I get to do my own stuff! :)
18 hours ago via web

So it looks, Duncan is OK with the project. And if they make a series, so does it mean they don't think about a SC sequel?

Susan said...

Hi Kate! Thanks for the great clips of Maggie at TIFF.

I made my comments about a televion series based on Source Code in the previous post. I don't doubt that Duncan was unaware of any potential TV deals and I also don't doubt he is happy to move on to his "own thing." Jake probably feels the same way. In a case like this I imagine the WRITER is the one who feels more protective of the material than anyone. And the bottom line is, if they put it on TV I hope they do it justice.

lillyrosesNjake said...

Hello everyone....2 of the more interesting plot concepts of SC for me what the reintroduction of Colter back into the the source codes over and over and seeing the small changes in the scenes (and the chemistry) between him and Michelle. Also, the realization that Colter was technically "dead" but able to carry out these source codes. I never watch Quatum leap, so I have very little to compare SC to. I probably tune into the small screen series to see the comparsion, but of course with no Jake-I'd be reluctant to follow...plus I'd hate for it to get poor reviews and potentially negatively impact how great the film was!
Maggies movies-I liked The Secretary and Sherrybaby-this is before I knew they were related. Crazy Heart I liked also but watched mainly because of the Jake connection. I think I would like Hysteria, just because of the history of the "treatment" of hysteria and the first vibrators ;-)

mermon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mermon said...

Hi!
Did you see the picture posted by @Sweetpea in the last post?
Jake has nice hair :) And a beard is growing!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Thanks very much for posting those tweets, Mermon! Sensible approach from Duncan. He keeps his eyes ahead.

My pleasure, Susan :D I hope they do it justice too.

Hi Lilyroses :) It wouldn't be the same at all. IT must be a little strange for Jake and Duncan, but yes, I hope the writer makes some money out of it.

I did, Mermon! I don't know why it was deleted. I saw tweets of Jake in San Francisco yesterday too.

Here's the pic

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Oops!

Hopefully a working link now!

Anonymous said...

I felt in love with Maggie thanks to Secretary and I'm looking forward to see Hysteria!About SC series...I hope the best for them but seriously I think would be hard...We have a perfect movie yet, so I'm crossing fingers..we'll see!
Kisses
Carlotta

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carlotta! I love Secretary - Maggie really does make some interesting choices. Sherry Baby was one I sat traumatised through!

Anonymous said...

Jake has an auction item, the money goes to Greenpeace

http://www.charitybuzz.com/auctions/greenpeace/catalog_items/262804

I'm not sure why they took that photo of Jake at the apple store off

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea - I have that for the next post! The photo is still up, it's just that you deleted your comment with the link :)

T said...

Hey guys, for those in UK looks like Sunday night is Jake night on E4 @ 8 is TDAT and on ITV 4 @ 1030 is Jarhead, well that's my evening sorted :)

Margot said...

Do we know what Jake is doing in San Fran?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh thanks for the heads up, T! I don't have E4 but I'll try and catch Jarhead :D

Hi Margot! Jake's a regular visitor to Berkeley so he must have good friends there :)