Thursday 5 July 2012

Why Jake Gyllenhaal appeared in the Time to Dance video and news on tickets for If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet

So, what should an actor do, when he or she doesn't want to make a full length feature film but they still want to remind all of us out here that they're still about while also impressing directors and earning points for looking cool? Music videos! Just as directors like Zodiac's David Fincher have honed their craft with music videos, actors too like to dabble, especially Jake Gyllenhaal.

(As it's Wimbledon time it seems fitting to lead with Giving up the Gun:)



Jake is no novice to music videos having featured in more than his fair share over the last few years (think The Shoes, Vampire Weekend and Jamie Foxx, not to mention appearances in SNL videos and Rufus Wainwright stage performances). The media is noticing that Jake is not alone and Jake was interested enough in an article appearing in Reuters and Chicago Tribune today that he chipped in with an email about why he appeared in Time to Dance. Of course, this particular video was a little different than most - it was extended and gave Jake plenty of scope to explore, without words, a character and a story.

'"I did the video because it exists alone, by itself. Like a question mark at the end of a sentence," Gyllenhaal wrote. In the video, directed by British filmmaker Daniel Wolfe, Gyllenhaal, 31, plays a homicidal fencer who stabs and beats people to death. The Shoes dreamed up the concept with Wolfe, who then called in Gyllenhaal. "We needed a great actor to do it as we didn't want (gratuitous) violence in our video. We wanted this as a piece of art and not a buzz video," band member Guillame Briere told Reuters. Briere said that for Gyllenhaal, the video was a "really different experience from what he is doing normally" and a chance for him to show people "how good he is" as an actor.'

Not bad for a product lasting a little over 8 minutes.


If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet - ticket information

All is quiet with Jake as he spends the final days on An Enemy before heading to Comic-Con in San Diego to publicise End of Watch. However, If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, Jake's NYC stage debut, is getting closer. 

I'm grateful to a source and reader who has informed me that you'll be able to buy tickets from the Roundabout Theatre website and Audience Services number: 212-719-1300 from (and including) 23 July.

My review of The Five Year Engagement is now on MovieBrit.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hi, Kate. I saw that article about actors doing music videos. It seems to me that the extra long format of Time to Dance must have been part of the appeal, but I don't think it was necessary for Jake to appear in it to show anyone how good he is as an actor. It just provided confirmation once again for those of us who know. ;)

Thank goodness we have a date for ticket sales to the play, and thank you so much for announcing it! If I can manage to scrape myself off the ceiling I'll have to start getting organized and making plans to be in NYC... I only need to pull about 1,000 rogue ducks into alignment to make it happen, but I'm certainly going to try!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Susan! I on't think that was necessary either but I think in such a long gap between films it doesn't hurt to remind filmmakers and audiences that he's out there.

A pleasure, I'm grateful to the source. Good luck!!!

BBMISwear said...

Things are very quiet this week...feels like the calm before the storm!

Can't wait for more on the play...thanks WDW! (Maybe I'll see you in NYC Susan). :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BBMISwear! I know I seem to have seen everyone off! Must be all the sport... ;-)

Have a good evening everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

My review of The Five Year Engagement is now on MovieBrit