Tuesday 27 July 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal and a Molina PoPfest (I got to 'speak' to Alfred today!) - and no TIFFin for LAOD

This morning local time, the organisers of the Toronto International Film Festival announced a lineup of 51 galas, premieres and special screenings. Despite expectations, which were quite raised, there wasn't a sign of Love and Other Drugs in the lineup. While it is possible that additions may be made to the list through August, it's now not looking likely that we'll have a repeat of 2007. However, there are other film festivals to come, notably Venice and London. At the risk of sounding just like myself when we were waiting for Brothers, there is still a chance of some Festival Jake Gyllenhaal. A full list can be seen here.



On a brighter note, I had some fun today when I joined in a LoveFilm live chat with Alfred Molina and was able to tell him - laptop to laptop - that I enjoyed Prince of Persia and An Education. I asked him if he preferred to play fantasy or real life figures, to which he replied: 'Oooh... They're both interesting to do... Fantasy character are much freer'. I did make a brief mention of ostriches. It was a real thrill to be able to engage with a much-admired actor (I did the same with Maggie years ago) and it certainly added a touch of flavour to my porridge and water lunch. This is LoveFilm's picture of the occasion:


Therefore, it's only fitting that this post is a bit of a Fred Molina post, or a Fred Molina and Jake Gyllenhaal post, with some Peter Sarsgaard happily added to the mix. There's a bit of a PoP lovefest going on too...

Alfred on Jake: ''"Jake brings all the qualities the part needs: he’s goodlooking and talented, has a very attractive personality and is very bright," said Molina. "I’m also really impressed by his willingness to just jump in. It can be very easy for an actor in his position to sit back a little bit and play the star and let someone else carry the weight. He has never done that."'


'Molina’s own role is that of a vicious villain, who controls huge parts of the deadly desert. "(Sheik Amar), he's a lovable rogue I’d say! Or at least he’s a baddie who ends up as a reluctant ally of the hero," said Molina. "He starts off and he’s venal and self-centred and he describes himself as an entrepreneur and businessman, but he’s really a con-man and a small-time gangster with a capacity for violence. So he’s not sweet and cuddly, but he’s cheeky and a good talker and has a bit of an edge and some charm to him, and there’s also a part of him that deep down wants to do the right thing."'



Mike Newell: 'What I do think is, I think that most people don't know how to talk and certainly most people don't know how to talk to actors. There may be a slight difference. Above everything else, people don't listen. They don't listen to you. So you get a sense of an actor's potential, what he can do and what he can't do, and sometimes what you want to do is to nudge him into what he can do. Other times you want to say, "You know what? You do that really, really well. Let's do that again, but slightly differently." Fred Molina who played Sheik Amar whom I'd worked with before. He played a very straight-laced London lawyer for me, but very very funny. Now he's playing this loose disreputable stinky desert... We were talking about it and he said, "What do you think he's like?" I said, "Well, I think he's like Arthur Daley." Arthur Daley is a very famous character in this country. He comes from a TV series. He's a guy who sells dodgy cars, and I said, "I think Sheik Amar sells dodgy cars." So you start to have fun talking to them. I don't know why it is. I've always like them. I just like them. I wanted to be one. I was desperate to be one, but I was so bad. I was hopeless.'



'Just like I don't get the chance to make movies like this every day, because they just don't make 'em anymore, these guys don't get to act in them because they don't make them anymore. The opportunities in it are absolutely great. I mean, again, it's a story about Fred Molina, but when do you ever get the opportunity to raise your arms to the heavens and shout at the top of your voice, "Behold the mighty ostrich!" which is a God-given comedy line. It's wonderful. When do you get to actually kiss an ostrich?'



Jake in USA Today: '"The scariest scene in the movie is when Alfred Molina kisses an ostrich," he says. "They are terrifying animals. Anything with a brain the size of a pea and claws that can tear your face apart is really scary." The ostriches left a big impression on the animal-loving Gyllenhaal. "I've worked with wolves in movies (on The Day After Tomorrow), and on this set they treated ostriches like wolves," he says. "They literally told us they've been known to rip off people's faces. So when Fred kisses the ostrich, to me that performance is braver than Robert De Niro in Raging Bull."'



Jake spoke to Cineplex of his fear of speaking in an English accent to the English: 'When I finally got it, which was, uh a few months down the line, which I had done a lot of work to get to - it felt great. I mean, I remember sitting there with the actors for the first day I really felt like I nailed it, because at the beginning of the rehearsal period, Mike Newell, who was our director, would say to me: [adopts grandiose British accent] 'Don't worry my boy, just say the accent. Be confident!' So I'd walk in and be like you know, doing this horrible accent...I think the first time I did it, Ben Kingsley like puked into a trash can... Alfred Molina [who plays Sheik Amar in the film] was like calling his agent, 'Can, uh...is there any way you can get me out of this?' [laughs]'



In this interview with Aint it Cool, Jake and interviewer Quint admit to a shared appreciation of Alfred and regret that he doesn't feature in the footage showed at WonderCon.

Molina also, of course, played Jenny's increasingly sympathetic father Jack in An Education, giving him a chance to play opposite Peter Sarsgaard in some of the most satisfying and enjoyable scenes in the film. There's a report from the set here. 'I don’t think the Brits have got a monopoly on dysfunctionality', Alfred says - that's a relief.



To finish with Prince of Persia, Alfred Molina told the writers of the Destiny book: 'I think it's rather presumptuous of us to imagine that audiences are going to come out of watching Prince of Persua and be better people for it... If an audience walks out thinking that their ten bucks have been really well spent, then we've done our job. If they come out entertained and uplifted in some way... if it makes them curious about wanting to find out more about history... that's even better.'


Alfred: 'I don't think we've seen a member of the human species being quite so emotionally linked with an ostrich... I think we're breaking new ground here.' Alfred had thought that the ostrich he kissed was an Anita but it turned out to be an Alan. 'So I think we did the first sort of gay, interspecies kiss on film. Hopefully, they'll create an MTC Award for that category.'

Jake: 'There's not a single person on this movie who can find a bad thing to say about Fred Molina... He's just great, an actor's actor who adds light and life to the movie. Fred raised the bar, and he's just a lovely man.'



I know that a couple of these clips don't feature Alfred, but they're amongst my favourite PoP clips and I can't resist them! Pictures from Disney (via IHJ) and LoveFilm.

Just posted my enthusiastic thoughts on Toy Story 3 at MovieBrit.

23 comments:

Linda said...

heey! :) im glad you spoke to alfred!
so cool!
and I loved the post, these scenes are my favorites too :D
have a good day !*

Anonymous said...

Loved this post, WDW. I like Alfred. I remember seeing him for the first time in Spiderman as doc oct.

I loved him in POP too.

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Linda! I now, it was really cool! I loved being able to tell Alfred that I enjoyed PoP and An Education. I love that :D

I couldn't resist all these clips - I just love them all. I can't wait for the DVD!

Thanks Sweetpea :D I love Alfred, first time I saw him was all those years ago with Gary Oldman in Prick Up Your Ears - a huge talent. And fab in PoP! Love the mix of the serious and fun roles - Jake can do that too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

If anyone's interested, I've written what I thought of Toy Story 3 on MovieBrit

LadyEkster said...

Bugger. I had high hopes for 2 movies screening on TIFF, LAOD being one of them, and now it seems like both won't be there. Grmble. Grr. Meh. :|

I'm glad you got to speak to Alfred though! :D He seems like a great and very funny man.
And thanks for all the PoP vids! This makes the waiting for the dvd a bit easier. ;) It's good to not only hear the soundtrack but see the images as well for a change, haha.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Bugger indeed, Lady Ekster - I'm going to have to find some enthusiasm for TIFF from somewhere!

Alfred is just lovely :D

I love these PoP clips - more and more are turning up (some dubbed...) and it does help to fill this glap of missing PoP. I watch some of these and I crave the DVD! But not long at all :D

Vanessa said...

Thanks WDW for the Alfred post. How cool is that you getting to chat with him online? Love it! He is such a great actor, I love him & have for a long time. He had a bit part in Raiders of the Lost Ark long ago even. That was the 1st time I saw him, "throw me the idol, I'll throw you the whip!" >;-) He was great in Sorcerer's Apprentice that I just saw too.

I just got an invitation to see PoP on the big screen at a college campus here on Aug 14th. Yay! I have been seriously missing that movie since they took it down 2 weeks ago here. I adore that movie & can't get enough of it, so waiting for the DVD in Sept, (I hope it isn't any longer than that) is going to be agonizing!!!

sheba said...

Thanks for your posts (especially previous one on Piiiiilot) and news of TIFF. Loved revisiting PoP and Mr Molina who's a favourite of mine (especially in Chocolat..... mwah, exquisite!). Well done for getting to converse with him. I didn't know that he was in the 1st Indiana Jones movie. Six degrees of separation eh :)

The power of movie making is that a film can put a great big smile on your face and that for me, will always be, Prince of Persia. It was a very satisfying and happy time for many of us.

Peter is a revelation in An Education. Can you imagine Peter, Jake, Maggie and even Ramona speaking plummy Brit at the dinner table. Peter always brings something differennt to his roles. I believe he really enjoys his craft in that he cares what he puts out. Such a cool dude.

Now the waiting game begins for LaOD. I remember The Good Girl being described as 'Seriously, Funny' I hope that LaOD will deliver that too (be very serious and very funny at the same time).

Anonymous said...

Cool post WDW. It was fun revisiting some of the PoP clips. All those close ups of Jake are good to wake up to on a Wednesday morning!

Great that you chatted to Alfred Molina. Just looked up Alfred Molina on Wikipedia. He has worked steadily since the late 70's, acting in many films and TV series, and with PoP, is the only actor to have three lego figures created of him (others are for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spiderman).

And good to know about the 'wide boy' Arthur Daley link - I think Alfred Molina's accent as Sheik Amar is a bit Arthur Daley-ish.

An Education was top-notch. Alfred Molina often gets supporting roles and he pulled off the role of the father very well.

Cheers

Tui

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Vanessa! Really cool! I was so chuffed- I've been feeling really icky today and this just boosted me so high :D He said on the chat today that the role in Indiana Jones was his first role - and such a great line!

That's great you can see PoP again!! And then you won't have long to wait for the DVD :)

Hey Sheba! The more I miss PoP the more I realise how much I love it and long for it - cannot wait for the DVD!

And Chocolat :)

I can just imagine those dinner conversations! I bought Nanny McPhee today so I can't wait to see that tomorrow and see how Maggie did with the accent. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. An Education was just wonderful.

I have no doubt - LAOD will exceed expectations :D

Hi Tui! Over there on Wednesday morning!!

That's amazing about the Alfred lego pieces :D Is there a PoP Alfred piece? His accent was so good in PoP, the whole role. He seems to excel in whatever role he's given - great experience for Jake to work alongside him :D

Carol said...

Love all the PoP clips you posted tonight WDW:) Thanks!! Some of my faves there too.

That was such a cool way to spend your lunchtime chatting to Mr. Molina !!! I've always liked him. It was great you got to tell him how much you liked PoP and An Education.

Can't wait to check out your thoughts on Toy Story 3 on MB. Hoping to get to it myself tomorrow evening.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Carol! I love these clips!!! Especially the one where Dastan stands on that high tower and jumps off - they cut it a bit before the moment I love though, when he walks through the fire grinning while pulling out the two swords. Great moment. But love th initial battle too running up the wall. Love Pop!!!!

It's so great when you can tell an actor you admire you love their work - I'm so fortunate, I've done that with several of them now, including Jake and Maggie. It's a wonderful feeling.

Enjoy Toy Story 3! You won't be disappointed :)

Just Fan said...

Very disappointing that LAOD won't be presented at the TIFF. I hope it hasn't anything to do with the quality of the movie itself.

Thanks for the new post WDW. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Just Fan! It won't be because of that - they'll have other plans, I'm sure. The film is getting so much buzz, I don't think we need worry it's because of quality. After all, just because a film's at a festival, it doesn't make it good.

The good thing about festivals is the chance it gives people to see it early and interact with the filmmakers. Maybe they have other plans for the premiere.

Glad you liked the post!

sheba said...

Ooh, just found out they're showing Prince of Persia for two days at The MAC, Birmingham Saturday 7th, Sunday 8th August @ 3pm. So at least two more viewings on the big screen for me before it goes forever :DD

WDW, I loved your comments on Fandom over on Rob's blog. It was very profound (I won't comment yet, I need to think about it before I do) It's such a personal experience and you have eloquently echoed many of my sentiments. You should post your comments here too.

About being objectified in PoP Jake called it: "A nice little ride of flattery". I'm sure it was for him, just to see that wonderful smile on his face throughout the whole PoP promotion made my day. I don't think there was even one promo moment that he didn't enjoy (then Lordy he deserves the Oscar now). That smile seemed too genuine.

I hope Jake get's to work with younger directors like Duncan Jones who are more edgy and risk takers. I look forward to Mr Zwick delivering what Jake promises :)

Vanessa said...

OMG, WDW, I was so busy working while trying to read your post, that I had not watched the clips yet. I just read what you said about that 1st clip where he dives off that tower. That is one of my favorite scenes & I too wish they hadn't cut it right before he walks out in slo-mo drawing his swords out. That scene always makes me want to squeeee!!! I am so glad to see so many other PoP fans here. I have heard from a few other Jake fans it wasn't their favorite movie of his by far. WHAT??? I have a hard time with that, because he is heartbreakingly beautiful in this movie, besides being funny, sexy, charming, witty, charismatic, humble, & BAD-ASS on top of all of it! I was SO proud of him in this movie & so irked that the US, (& yes, that's where I'm from), didn't make it a blockbuster like it should have been.

Oh well, I will accept the fact that there won't be a sequel unless there is a miracle & move on to LaOD which is supposed to be released here in the states in November. Sorry it won't be screened at TIFF, but I am not surprised as this is more of a bigger film than an indie movie & it was already pre-screened in the past few months. I have seen several great reviews about it from those lucky people that saw it already. So, I am frothing at the mouth waiting for November to get here asap! >;-)

paulh said...

I'm sure Peter, Maggie and Jake *could* a dinner conversation using British accents. Peter was in "An Education," Jake was in "Prince of Persia," and Maggie is in "Nanny McPhee."

I'm enjoying Alfred Molina more and more as I seem him in more movies. He's in "Sorceror's Aprpentice," and is a lot of fun in that.

BBMISwear said...

Very interesting post tonight WDW! And that is so cool about "speaking" to Alfred Molina (laptop to laptop)! You did that with Maggie one time too? Okay, so I think it's time that you get to do that with Jake. He needs to do one of those live chats sometime!

I just went back to look at something that triggered me to look back and saw that I missed Sunday's post completely...I don't know how I did that?! Great stuff there and I have to say that I am at a cross between clean shaven and stubble. I'll pass on the full beard. So many great pics in that post...must have been fun digging those up!!

I'm really curious about LAOD now that it's not on the TIFF list. Let's hope we hear something soon.

:-)

BBMISwear said...

P.S. I just spent some quality time with the May 22nd post...Holy S#@t WDW! These posts certainly were whoppers back in May!! I knew they were happening but was unable to give them the attention they deserved back then and it is so freaking awesome to go back to them all, one by one, and spend an hour or more on each now that I really do have the time! You brought back some great memories for me on May 22nd...I had heard the Radio Disney interview the night before when a friend called me to tell me to put it on right away. I had that friend and 2 others (3 women I've known since the 70's!!) over for a girls night/wine drinking sleepover on May 22nd and I knew Jake would be at the Celtics game so was recording that as the four of us watched BBM (the first time these women finally watched it with me after hearing about it over and over and over for "four fuckin' years")! Then we watched Jake and Chris at the Celtics and later the recorded interview with Jake. Then I got up the next morning and made my plans with Ted to go to Toronto and see Jake at ETalk Live! So, talk about memories! Great memories...and you just brought them all back to me...Thank you WDW!!!!!

*looks forward to continuing the WDW May Pop Party Catch-up* (only 5 more posts to go)

Just had to share these good feelings with you...sorry for the ramble! :-)

BBMISwear said...

Ooops...my P.S. is longer than my original comment. Sorry! :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! Been in meetings all morning - ugh...

That's great Sheba! I'd love it to turn up round here again... I do agree that Jake clearly loved the promo for this film - a great experience for him, and for us. I'm now ready to see where it all takes him and us :D

I'm so glad you read that fandom piece I wrote - it was difficult to do as it was very personal but it was well worth it - good to have a long think about all this! And thanks for commenting on MB! I think I just missed you last night :)

Hi there Vanessa! I love that scene! Great to hear you talk about PoP :D It's definitely one of Jake's films that I've enjoyed the most - certainly the one that I've enjyed just looking at the most! That's the great thing about Jake's movies - they all have different things to appreciate. Yep, I'm epecting great things from LAOD :D

Hi Paul! I'm looking forward to seeing Sorceror's Apprentice - it's still not out here. I'll be seeing Nanny McPhee later this week (although Mr WDW did roll his eyes when I turned up with that one :D)

Lovin' the comments, BBMISwear :-) ooh I love these livechats - I love reading the one Jake did all those years ago for October Sky. I did get to ask Maggie a couple of questions - it was a great experience. She was very nice.

And yay you're catching up! What a week that was :)

Have a good day everyone!

Karen said...

ooh Sheba - the MAC - I will probably see you there!
Was just reading this post and thought how much I would love to see POP again soon, now, now, now!!!!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Karen! I'm so glad you can get to see it again too - and with Sheba too - even better :D